Mushrooms season in Italy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniele96

Reaction score
The autumn is arrived and we start the harvest of the mushrooms. Then I dry them for winter. (In the first photo boletus edulis and drying process in the second)
IMG_20180924_222338_200.jpeg
20180925_131050.jpeg

Nice.

We had a bumper crop of porcini at the start of august, I've picked loads of winter chantarelles to dry and today got some hedgehog mushrooms

Here's just some of the porcini I picked in the second week of august
EmZvLKF.jpg

and todays small haul, includes a bay bolete
p0mriyz.jpg

small haul from a couple of weeks ago. winter chantarelles, chantarelles, various small boletes
RhOYvXt.jpg

Nice.

We had a bumper crop of porcini at the start of august, I've picked loads of winter chantarelles to dry and today got some hedgehog mushrooms

Here's just some of the porcini I picked in the second week of august
EmZvLKF.jpg

and todays small haul, includes a bay bolete
p0mriyz.jpg

small haul from a couple of weeks ago. winter chantarelles, chantarelles, various small boletes
RhOYvXt.jpg
Probabily one of the last but 3,87 kg
received_933552250178637.jpeg

Wow. That is huge. Do you usually find mushrooms that big? Or was it a one off?

They get infested with maggots here if they get big usually. We are well into late autumn here in scotland so different species are being harvested

I had a nice snack earlier today from foraged mushrooms from this morning when i went for a walk, some Hydnum repandum, Craterellus tubaeformis and Russula cyanoxantha, fried with garlic and olive oil/butter on toast.

nniaMHR.jpg

Wow. That is huge. Do you usually find mushrooms that big? Or was it a one off?

They get infested with maggots here if they get big usually. We are well into late autumn here in scotland so different species are being harvested

I had a nice snack earlier today from foraged mushrooms from this morning when i went for a walk, some Hydnum repandum, Craterellus tubaeformis and Russula cyanoxantha, fried with garlic and olive oil/butter on toast.

nniaMHR.jpg
My personal record is 5,56 kg and it was a single mushroom. Here in Italy the medium size is 0,3 kg.

That must be a world record if it is that big. Looks more like Boletus aereus although I don't really know as i'm such a novice . Still as good to eat through

well done, you deserve a medal for those mushrooms

Last edited:
The group in photo was a group of Boletus aereus also called black porcini. In Italy we call porcini not only Boletus edulis but all the Boletus family. However if we considere only Boletus edulis it is possible to find examples of more than 3 kg if forest are in good conditions and not polluted as they unfortunately are very often

The group in photo was a group of Boletus aereus also called black porcini. In Italy we call porcini not only Boletus edulis but all the Boletus family. However if we considere only Boletus edulis it is possible to find examples of more than 3 kg if forest are in good conditions and not polluted as they unfortunately are very often
First wintertime mushrooms pleurotus ostreatus
20181015_182957.jpeg

Nice, I've picked a few of them so far too, although they are always against a tree/log so less round. Got some in a venison stew I made today to eat this week

Also found some chantarelles still growing a couple of days ago. They should be done by now, they are usually finished by end of september here but it's been very mild

still picking hedgehog mushrooms too, hydnum repandum

Nice, I've picked a few of them so far too, although they are always against a tree/log so less round. Got some in a venison stew I made today to eat this week

Also found some chantarelles still growing a couple of days ago. They should be done by now, they are usually finished by end of september here but it's been very mild

still picking hedgehog mushrooms too, hydnum repandum

The mushrooms season is finished because it had been snowing the last week in Italy but it is the best period for my favourite mushrooms: tuber magmatum, the Alba white truffles.
20181203_114839.jpeg

Lean pickings over the last couple of months but lots of elf cups and wood ear mushrooms around at the moment. Not the biggest fan of wood ear though

yoPxa4P.jpg

@Daniele96 and anyone else, mushroom season must have started again for you?

So far in the last week I have picked a bag or so of chanterelles, a bunch of scarlatina boletes, my first cep of the year and a fair number of oyster mushrooms as well as a lot of charcoal burners.

@Daniele96 and anyone else, mushroom season must have started again for you?

So far in the last week I have picked a bag or so of chanterelles, a bunch of scarlatina boletes, my first cep of the year and a fair number of oyster mushrooms as well as a lot of charcoal burners.
I've started the season in the last week of May with boletus pinicola but thid is the first serious exit of 6th of June
FB_IMG_1560287256330.jpeg

Nice. Morels only tend to grow on imported wood chippings here. Here are a couple of pictures of what I picked. It is a shame bitter beech boletes (Caloboletus calopus) are not edible, I could have had many kilos of them a week or two ago. We had a fair amount of rain on sunday so hopefully I will find a few nice mushrooms to pick this week. I need to visit a pine forest but they are a fair bit north of me, although I know of a good mature pine plantation closer to me

FiRfz6i.jpg

e3DDctS.jpg

uNWlmiR.jpg

Bolete season in full flow, these were mostly under spruce. My biggest yet too. Filled my dehydrator now will dry fry a lot and make duxelles too to freeze.

How do you guys preserve your mushrooms?
IMG_20190824_164621071_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190824_164021763_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190824_164021763_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
Awesome

Boletes are a bit thin on the ground here at the moment, but winter chantarelles and hedgehog mushrooms are popping up a lot. Also a lot of milk caps

Got a nice sized one of these the other day, cauliflower fungus (Sparassis crispa)
DSC4574.jpg

I've not eaten them before, we call them Beef steak fungus

I got a fair number of winter chanterelles today, Cantherellus tubaeformis

IMG_20191008_155003566_HDR.jpg

Lots of huge Hen of the Woods here. Been finding some hedgehogs and oysters as well. We had a good summer for chanterelles too.
20191002_180950.jpeg

The most expensive mushrooms we have here. Alba white truffles
FB_IMG_1573400269139.jpeg

Back