muscidine wine slow starting, did i screw up somewhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorgonzo79

Reaction score
A full 24 hours after pitching and the first gravity reading is 1.100 from 1.110. seems like a really weak start and i'm not seeing any krausen either. doesn't smell off or anything.

2 packs Montrechet plus nutrients i believed would ferment much more vigorously.

A full 24 hours after pitching and the first gravity reading is 1.100 from 1.110. seems like a really weak start and i'm not seeing any krausen either. doesn't smell off or anything.

2 packs Montrechet plus nutrients i believed would ferment much more vigorously.

Don't worry. Just keep stirring twice daily, and it'll get going.

Muscadines are very acidic and sometimes start off a bit slow.

Would giving the wine a good mixing/aeration to give the yeast a bit more oxygen to grow+reproduce be helpful?
Other than that I would suspect that it's the acidity of the wine that's slowing the yeast down.

Would giving the wine a good mixing/aeration to give the yeast a bit more oxygen to grow+reproduce be helpful?
Other than that I would suspect that it's the acidity of the wine that's slowing the yeast down.

Yes, stir it quite well a couple of times a day. I don't use an airlock in primary, just cover the fermenter with a clean towel, to make it easier to stir.

OK that's pretty good news, Thanks!

have been stirring once daily but will stir twice going forward.

i appreciate the advice.

oh, towel secured with twine and sprayed with Starsan in lieu of an airlock.
I planned on putting under an airlock after it hit 1.030 or so.

Latest posts

Back