Muscadine wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good recipe? I have one that looks good I just like to compare with what I have so I can combine and make my own version... I will post the recipe I have once I have time and am not on my phone

Are you looking for a sweet muscadine wine or a dry wine ? I have a good recipe that I have been using for sweet muscadine wine that I am very happy with. The end result is not overly sweet, it's more of a semi sweet wine, and is done after about 90 days and ready to bottle. Obviously it gets better with age but also tastes great once its done.

I never follow a recipe exactly I always put a little twist to make it mine. But i am just lookin for any recipes that are good, in July I will be getting around 30# of muscadines. So I can make sweet and dry depending on batch size

I would like the recipe for the sweet muscadine wine. I have six gallons of muscadine juice in the freezer. I'm just looking for a good recipe.

I would like the recipe for the sweet muscadine wine. I have six gallons of muscadine juice in the freezer. I'm just looking for a good recipe.

Just my humble opinion.. You can still make wine with just the juice, but alot of recipes call for crushing the grapes and leaving the crushed grapes in the primary during primary fermentation. This not only gives you the tannins in the skins, but leaving the skins in there contributes to the color of the wine. My mucadines were purple ish on the outside and had green "meat" inside the grapes. After crushing the grapes, the juice was light/white ish. But after primary fermentation, the wine had turned pink, After I racked into the secondary, leaving the crushed grapes behind, I then had red wine. My point is that you can still make wine out of just the juice, but you won't have the added benefit of the grape skins, which are considered a key part in the process of this and most wines. Just something to keep in mind.

For everyone looking for a good muscadine recipe, I strongly urge you to check out the jack keller wine making website and look up his recipe for muscadine wine. I followed that recipe and I just bottle it the other day. Absolutely amazing wine! I cannot imagine how it could get any better but I know it will with age. It's, to my taste, the perfec red wine.

I'm not fixin to start up a batch of muscadine wine with bronze muscadines next. :D

Example of the change in color over time:

Crushed muscadines

Secondary

Last racking into carboy

Final product came out a beautiful dark ruby red color

Thank you very much for that information. The juice was given to me by a friend of mine from Georgia. He makes wine too. He gave me approx six gallons of juice. The recipes tell you to use a certain amount of weight of grapes to make the wine. I don't know how much six gallons of grape is. Do you happen to have an idea? I guess to get an approx I could just weigh all six gallons. I'm looking to try to make a sweetened full body red. The juice he gave me is already dark red. Would you recommend back sweeting?

Thank you very much for that information. The juice was given to me by a friend of mine from Georgia. He makes wine too. He gave me approx six gallons of juice. The recipes tell you to use a certain amount of weight of grapes to make the wine. I don't know how much six gallons of grape is. Do you happen to have an idea? I guess to get an approx I could just weigh all six gallons. I'm looking to try to make a sweetened full body red. The juice he gave me is already dark red. Would you recommend back sweeting?

I don't consider myself a wine "expert" so there may be someone else who chimes in with better suggestions than me..

First I'd take a hydrometer reading of that juice as-is to see what the gravity is by itself and then go from there. If you've got 6 gallons, then by all means try and ferment all 6 gallons if you can. Adding sugar, if needed, to get up around 1.095. Just making sure to get to the target OG would be the important part. Don't worry about adding any acid blend because these grapes tend to be overly acidic anyways. If fact, my only thought on the acidity is possibly have to add water to reduce the acidity if anything. I probably wouldn't even worry about adding tannins, either. Your juice may already have enough tannins in there, esecially if the juice is red already. Let it ferment out and then see what your hydrometer reading finishes at. If you want a sweet wine, then go ahead and backsweeten to taste. I ended up liking mine as is when it finished up. Not dry and not sweet. Almost right in the middle.

I made a gallon back in the fall that turned out really nice. No hydrometer, nothing fancy, just a shot in the dark because I like to experiment. It was 1 gal of whole muscadines, 4 cups sugar, Lalvin EC 1118, 1 campden tablet. I just crushed the fruit in a ziploc bag until i thought i got all i could get out of them, moved it to a gallon jug with the sugar and campden and let sit for a day. Next day shook the jug and pitched. Strained the fruit/hulls off after a week or so and let sit about 6 more weeks and it was ready to drink. No pectic enzyme and it still has ended up crystal clear.

I know thats about as primitive and redneck as it gets, but it worked and worked well. Next fall I plan on adjusting that for a 5 gal batch.

Latest posts

Back