Muscadine jack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I just made some "muscadine jack" as a means of fixing some wine. I will share the experience in case it might help someone else.

I had a gal of muscadine wine that I started 2, maybe 3, years ago. It got a bit oxidized and I did not like it. So I tried fortifying it with brandy to 18%, but still was not something I wanted to drink. So it has been just sitting in the shed. Finally I decided I had to do something with it, or dump it.

So rather just dumping it straight away, I freeze jacked it. After a couple of rounds of freeze and drain it is probably 25% or so. And the higher ABV significantly lessens the perception of the oxidation. It is still there, but very little, and in a way it almost adds a sense of character to the drink rather than detract from it.

I think I am going to bottle it with a small addition of grape juice concentrate to give it a slight sweetness. It should end up with a couple of bottles. I will try it out on some friends over CHRISTmas.

Anyway, just throwing it out there for anyone that might need a creative way to "fix" a oxidized wine.

I'm jacking some concord wine at the moment. It's dropping a lot of acid out as crystals but I doubt it's going to be drinkable anytime soon.

Back