Murky Beer in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
OK it has been about 14 days in a secondary and my irish red looks as murky as it did on day one. I did add a clarifier too the secondary about an hour after putting it in there. You can shine a flash light up near the top of the carboy thru the sides and see red but if you look directly in it looks like yoo hoo. The gravity seemed stable but I am getting a few very small bubbles coming off the bottom in a few spots. Can I rack again? Wait some more? Or just bottle and drink?

Bottle it. Always looks darker in a fermenter than it will after you pour it into a glass. Believe me, I had an amber that looked black in secondary. After bottling, its amber. May be a bit darker than you envisioned, happens with extract brews, but its not as dark as it looks to you.

Hold on... Hold on... Don't bottle it quite yet. What kind of yeast did you use? What temp did you ferment at? Can you post a pic?

I can forward ui a pic via email or txt message. Nottingham yeast Danstar. Temp 63-66

Back