Muntons Yeast... To replace or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm over thinking this? Please tell me if I am.

Anyway, I recently purchased a couple ingredient kits and they both came with Muntons dry yeast. Of course hindsight is always 20-20, and now, after purchasing, I did some research on Muntons yeast. The general consensus is Muntons = bad. It tends to flocculate and not attenuate fully.

The area I have reserved for fermentation is in the temperature range of 62-65. I may be able to convince the SWMBO to let me move it upstairs to a range of 65-68, but let's assume this is a last resort.

Should I:
  1. Brew as directions indicate and not do anything differently?
  2. Brew as directions indicate, but swirl my primary daily until FG is reached?
  3. Get a better yeast such as Nottingham?
  4. RDWHAHB

Nothing is brewing at the moment, and I understand I wont know what the yeast is doing until I can take gravity readings, but I'm wondering if an ounce of prevention would be worth 10 gallons of good home brew?
:mug:

get a liquid yeast if you can, and culture up a starter, even with shaking at 62 to 65 your gonna need a cultured up yeast starter, and if you start with a good yeast (ie liquid yeast, wyeast, whitelabs) youll have a better beer, and as far as finishing out you need to pitch more, its an extra step the starter, but since you dont have precise temp control for your fermentation, and you want to get your beer to finish out, you need to pitch a cultured up yeast starter............. the reason temp control is important is when your beer is finishing out (ie fermenting the last little bit of sugars that it can) a drop of temp by 1 or 2 degrees can cause the yeast to go to sleep and drop out early, once that has happened you wont be able to wake them up...... no matter how much you shake.... search on this forum for yeast starters...... real easy to make........ or if your using the same yeast for several beers, just make the first one..... when it is done it wont be completely finished out.... but thats ok, make the second one and pitch it on the left over yeast that will definitely give you enough yeast!!!

62-65 is a great temperature range IMO. If you want to stick with a better dry yeast, I've had lots of success with both Nottingham and Safale US-05 fermenting in that range for a nice clean flavor. You'll want to pitch 2 packets if you're doing 10 gallons.

Liquid yeast is not better than dry, there are just more liquid strains to choose from to match the style. Dry yeast is easier to use and doesn't need a starter, although I usually re-hydrate it in a cup or two of lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes before pitching.

62-65 is a great temperature range IMO. If you want to stick with a better dry yeast, I've had lots of success with both Nottingham and Safale US-05 fermenting in that range for a nice clean flavor. You'll want to pitch 2 packets if you're doing 10 gallons.

Liquid yeast is not better than dry, there are just more liquid strains to choose from to match the style. Dry yeast is easier to use and doesn't need a starter, although I usually re-hydrate it in a cup or two of lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes before pitching.

I actually have two 5 gallon ingredient kits, so one packet of yeast per 5 gallon batch.

I am so glad I found HBT before I started brewing. More than half the time I don't even need to post my question. The knowledge base and search feature are amazing.

:mug: to HBT and all its members!

I have stocked up on S-05 s-04 and nottingham I recommend everyone do it. Im not sure how good the muntons yeast is but Im pretty sure you will still have good beer.

My buddy used muntons for his first Kit batch for a steam. nice tasting beer, BUT took forever to clear and ended up not hitting target FG. It was tasty, but I wouldn't use it again, beer would have been EVEN BETTER using better yeast. Save it for a back up pack in case you get a bad batch of "good stuff".

Safale makes some good dry yeasts. Notty or windsor is good too. depending on what your looking for.

Muntons sucks, I'd shell out the $2.50 for other yeast.

Dry yeast is fine, and your temps are fine. Go buy s-04, s-05 or notty and you'll be set. Unless you're doing a high gravity beer or a very distinct style, just rehydrate and pitch.

Muntons sucks, I'd shell out the $2.50 for other yeast.
+1...
Dry yeast is fine, and your temps are fine. Go buy s-04, s-05 or notty and you'll be set. Unless you're doing a high gravity beer or a very distinct style, just rehydrate and pitch.
...and + another 1.

Muntons yeast does suck. If you want a hint of fruitiness in your beer go with S-04, and if you want it slightly drier go with S-05. Alternatively, although I've not used Nottingham, plenty of good brewers on here swear by it, so you won't go wrong with that either.

A local commercial brewer bragged to me about using Nottingham down to 52 degrees, so I wouldn't worry about your basement. I always ferment below 65 when I'm using Notty or Safale-05, which are my go-to yeasts for American ales and have no problem fully attenuating at this temp.

62-65 is a great temperature range IMO. If you want to stick with a better dry yeast, I've had lots of success with both Nottingham and Safale US-05 fermenting in that range for a nice clean flavor.

I agree I purchased 2 kits and did them with the muntons and definitely did not turn out as expected. am hesitant to get them again but may just to try them with US-05, take the time and order in the better yeast you will not regret it.

The yeasts that come in plain packages with Munton's and Black Rock kits are repackaged Safbrew S-33 by Fermentis (Note: I am not sure what is in the packages they sell individually with the Munton's name on it). There is nothing wrong with this yeast; it is a high quality yeast. It can produce delicious beers where you want a little residual sweetness/higher FG.; but be aware that it takes a good three months to bottle condition. The problem with these kit yeasts is the amount they contain, and the fact that they are often more than a year old when they get into the hands of consumers. Munton's provides 6gms/package and Black Rock only 5gms. When used alone it will lead to under-pitching. When Fermentis sells it to consumers they package it in 11.5gm pouches. If I buy two kits with S-33, I put both packages of yeast in one batch and buy another dry yeast for the remaining kit. S-33 works great; try it in a British Ale, like a mild brown, or any other low alcohol brew.

I use US-05 & S-04 the most. But for my hybrid lagers, hefe's, dampfbier & the like I use liquid. I never got fruitiness from S-04, but a great balance with English flavors, as it's a whitbread strain.

Back