Muntons CarbTabs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JMU_Alumn08

Reaction score
Has any used Muntons Carb Tabs? Described as priming sugar in tablet form and is made from dextrose, dry malt extract, and heading powder. Thinking about giving them a try but wanted to see if simply using dextrose to prime is better or if the tabs are better?

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
They work, I got some to fix some swing tops that had bad seals. I find it easier (read:cheaper) to add corn sugar to my bottling bucket. After measuring it and boiling it with some water, of course.

brian_g

Reaction score
Has any used Muntons Carb Tabs? Described as priming sugar in tablet form and is made from dextrose, dry malt extract, and heading powder. Thinking about giving them a try but wanted to see if simply using dextrose to prime is better or if the tabs are better?

I've never used Muntons Carb Tabs, but I have used Cooper's carbonation drops. I found that they make it much easier to add sugar to each bottle. However, I didn't think it was worth the price. I'd rather measure out 3/4 tsp for 54 bottles, then pay three times as much for my priming sugar, but that's just me.

Vic_Sinclair

Reaction score
I have also used Cooper's carbonation drops which I assume are very similar. I am now switching to standard priming sugar now that I have a dedicated bottling bucket and the cost issue that brian g mentioned.
As to the question if they are better, I doubt there is any compelling evidence that one is better than the other. They both give the yeast food to carbonate the beer. Tabs are easier and don't require sanitizing a bottling bucket, but they cost more.