Munich SMaSH at 1.014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuchogallego

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gal Munich Smash with 10.5lbs of Munich malt and used WLP029. OG was 1.048 and Beersmith says I should end at 1.010. I currently am at 1.014. fermented at 65-68 degrees and the yeast took off very quickly and I was at 1.014 in a couple of days. I kept it there for two weeks and moved to a fridge at 50 degrees. Two weeks later and it's still at 1.014. I don't want to bottle and end up with bombs. I figure it's done because its been at 1.014 for so long, but could use some advice. Should i just bottle, leave it, or do something else? Cheers.

Beersmith never gives good values for what FG you should expect. Those numbers are suitable for ignoring and nothing else.

You're sitting at 70% now, which may or may not be where you need to be, depending upon mash details. A forced ferment test, as mentioned above, would be ideal. If you don't want to get into that, I would just bottle and not worry - so long as you don't have reason to expect a stalled fermentation that will restart with increased temps and some oxygen (which is what you'd see in bottling), proceed as planned.

I'd say it's done man. If it were me, I'd go ahead and package it. I'm sure it will still be quite tasty (if you like Munich) even with the higher FG. Just mash a little cooler next time around.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for the help. I mashed at 148 for 75 minutes. I might try the forced fermentation, or bottle. Not really sure, it might be a game time decision.

Back