Munich/Northern Brewer SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I am going to brew on Friday and am on the fence as to what I will brew. I was thinking Black IPA, then some quasi-amber ale...As of right now I am thinking Best Malz Munich Malt ~6L with Northern Brewer hops.
10.5 G
17 lbs Munich
1 oz Northern Brewer FWH 9.9%AA 19 IBU
1.5 oz NB 15min 9.9%AA 12 IBU
1.5 oz NB 0min 9.9%AA 0IBU

~1.043 OG, ~31 IBU

My question is regarding the Northern Brewer hops. I have never used these before and don't know if they have a flavor profile that will perform well solo or even as a flavor/aroma hop at all. Also will they pair well with a simple but malty grist profile? Can anyone with experience using these hops share their input? If this is a horrible plan I still have plenty of time to revise it. Thanks.

Bump. Any input on Northern Brewer hops would be greatly appreciated.

I thought Northern Brewer hops were the only hops used in making Anchor Steam ale, which might work nice for your recipe.

I just did a Munich smash with first gold hops that pair well nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have recently made an Alt with NB which had 50% Munich as the base malt and it is solid.

The hop seems to have a woody spicy flavor. Some say 'mint' but I'm not sure I get that so much. I agree that Anchor Steam is a good reference point to give you a sense of the flavor contribution.

Did the Vienna/NB Smash with a dryhop and it is outstanding. NB quickly became a favorite hop for me just from the Smash.

I regularly make a Cali Common with 50% Munich and all NB. That malt/hop combo seem to work very well.

Back