Munich I vs Munich II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I buy Weyermann Munich from my LHBS. I’m about to do a Doppelbock which has revealed my lack of knowledge about which Munich style suits which beer types.

I think I’ve settled on a mix of one third Munich I, Munich II and Pilsner, with a touch of Caramunich. I think that is a safe recipe for my first Doppelbock. Though I’m keen to try a 100% Munich next time, but not sure whether a 50/50 split would be best or try 100% of either I or II.

How do you decide what Munich to use when? Other beers I use Munich in are Imperial Stouts, Barley Wine and Hefeweizen to name a few. I’ve just been using Munich II in the big beers and Munich I in the lighter beers. I’m not sure if that approach has any merit.

You'll be fine with either of the two Munich types. A much more toasty aroma is attributed to Munich II due to its being a darker version.

They just taste differently. Make two beers, 40% pale, 60% Munich 1 or 2 and compare them. Then you know the taste and you can decide which one you prefer. There is no simpler way I'm afraid.

Btw. I would ditch the caramunich. In a bock, your gravity is already higher and you can easily get a beer that is too sweet. You'll be fine with basemalts only for this type of beer.

. I would ditch the caramunich. In a bock, your gravity is already higher and you can easily get a beer that is too sweet. You'll be fine with basemalts only for this type of beer.

I second this. Please do not add any crystal malts to a Doppelbock - even without any, it typically borders on disgustingly sweet.

And also, just as a general information, Caramunich has no connection to Munich malt at all, it is just a name for a normal crystal malt. Cara is a registered name and describes their crystal malt and the additional "Munich" in the name refers to this specific type. But it could also be named cara25cxy or caraparis, no connection to Munich malt at all.

Last edited:
Obviously the best way to figure this out for my own taste is to make side by side beer with both Munich I or II. But I’m always interested in learning from other more experienced brewers.

Be careful with Munich and Munich II/Dark Munich - they vary quite a bit with different maltsters. Some dark Munich/munich II malts aren't even diastatic (they're more like crystal malts), whereas some are not much richer than Munich. I love experimenting with different munichs and viennas, and (as above) you don't really need crystal malts with them. Weyermann is towards the lighter end for these malts, so a high percentage of dark munich will work well. I think the blend of pils, munich, munich II (without caramunich) will be fantastic.

But I’m always interested in learning from other more experienced brewers.
I find that chewing on a couple of kernels gives me a good first approximation.

I also found that Hot Steep Method works well for sampling flavors various styles and brands caramel/crystal malts: The Hot Steep Method: Step-by-Step Instructions - Brewing With Briess . I haven't tried it on base malts or other specialty malts (yet), but I would anticipate it works for those malts as well.

Back