Munich Dunkel Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
What's a good water profile to shoot for for this style? From what I've read it sounds like soft water low in sulfates and just a bit of calcium?

This is approximately what Munich water is after its boiled and decanted:

Ca: 12 ppm
Mg: 17
Na: 4
SO4: 18
Cl: 8
HCO3: 100

Fairly modest in all ions excepting for the bicarbonate. That is partially neutralized with either acid malt or saurgut and the rest is neutralized with the acidity of the malts used to create a dunkel. That level of bicarbonate will not result in a 'lactic acid' flavor in the beer after its neutralized since the resulting lactate level should be around one-half of its taste threshold.

Thanks, so if I were to start out with RO water maybe just a bit of calcium chloride would get me close enough?

RO is one way. However, you wouldn't be adding that lactate nuance to the overall beer flavor as a consequence of neutralizing water with more alkalinity. I think that is one of the essences of German beers...lactate in the finished beer. Its not plainly tasteable, but I think it does add a flavor nuance. I know that AJ always recommends acid malt and that is a significant source of lactate in the finished beer. I think it is a worthwhile addition in those beers.

If your tap water has modest levels of Mg, Na, SO4, and Cl, then you might be able to use it as a starting point. Hopefully you have information on your local water.

Thanks, so if I were to start out with RO water maybe just a bit of calcium chloride would get me close enough?
I like my dunkels with 50ppm Ca+ from CaCl2. Mash pH usually ~5.3-4.

I added a little lime to my last one which had a bit of black malt in it. It pushed my pH higher than I wanted it to. No pH raising additions to my dunkels from now on.

My well water is run through a water softener for iron removal and I did send a sample to Ward lab. I've been brewing decent Dunkels with it by adding calcium chloride and a small amount of gypsum which gives me a malty profile and 5.4 PH according to Brewers Friend but I'm always looking to improve and thought maybe Starting with RO water may be a better idea. Here's my Ward report.

PH 7.4
TDS 83
Na 31
K <1
Ca <1
Mg <1
Total hardness CaCo3 <1
SO4-S 2
Cl 4
CO3 <1
HCO3 66
Total Alkalinity CaCo3 54