Quantcast

Munich Dunkel Lager

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone - hope you've all been well. Up next for me is the Munich Dunkel Lager found in this recipe - Munich Dunkel Lager

Has anyone brewed this? I'd like the color to look like a traditional Dunkel but I too am concerned about the beer tasting chocolaty if I add the amount of Choc Millet they suggest. If I were to use 5.25oz chocolate millet, what could i substitute to add color and make up for the additional 5.25 oz of choc millet I'd be omitting?

Silly Yak

Reaction score
Here's the BCJP aroma profile: Aroma: Rich, Munich malt sweetness, like bread crusts (and sometimes toast.) Hints of chocolate, nuts, caramel, and/or toffee are also acceptable.

I'd say try caramel 120L millet as the description really matches this beer profile at least per GFHB and BJCP are concerned. Maybe even try a bit of caramillet. Mmm thinking about this is making me thirsty.

videojunkie1208

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What enzymes are you planning on using, as with Ceremix and Ondea, you might want to recalculate the grain bill due to the increased efficiency.

skleice

Reaction score
For the bread crusty notes = biscuit rice 15l and 18l are awesome.

For light chocolate, I would go either James Brown rice or the Caramel 120l mentioned above.

videojunkie1208

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Based on 75% efficiency, and using Ceremix and Ondea, you could expect to get an OG around 1.060 and an ABV closer to 6.5% rather than the more tame 5.5% that the recipe calls for.

Looks like if you wanted to use Caramel 120L and James Brown, you could modify the grain bill to an even 12lbs of Munich, and then 1/3lb each of both Caramel 120L and James Brown would put you right at 16.6 SRM and an OG around 1.053 (assuming 75% efficiency).

Good luck!

OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
Appreciate the support everyone!
What enzymes are you planning on using, as with Ceremix and Ondea, you might want to recalculate the grain bill due to the increased efficiency.
I have Termamyl, SEBAmyl & Ondea. Should I not use all three?

skleice

Reaction score
Appreciate the support everyone!

I have Termamyl, SEBAmyl & Ondea. Should I not use all three?
All 3 is great!
Termamyl will liquefy the starches.
Ondea will create a more desirable wort profile.
Sebamyl L will help with fermentability.

Add Termamyl (1ml/lb) at 170-180°
Add Ondea (1ml/lb) and Sebamyl (.25ml/lb) after dropping to 145°.

OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
All 3 is great!
Termamyl will liquefy the starches.
Ondea will create a more desirable wort profile.
Sebamyl L will help with fermentability.

Add Termamyl (1ml/lb) at 170-180°
Add Ondea (1ml/lb) and Sebamyl (.25ml/lb) after dropping to 145°.
Thanks Skleice - hope you've been well! I plan on doing a 3 hr mash, do you think that's overkill?

skleice

Reaction score
Thanks Skleice - hope you've been well! I plan on doing a 3 hr mash, do you think that's overkill?
Tx, you too!

I don't do the falling step mash anymore, but I think I used to do 30 min at 170-180° and then 90 min at 145°. Best way to know is check gravity or do a starch test.

OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
So it turned out that I only had Amalyze, SEBAmil and SEBAmil L. I used them as advised on the package and followed Skleice's mash guidance. I ended up mashing for 2 hours and hit an OG of 1.057.

Here are some pic of the grain crush and brew day. Notice the two bags I temporarily store crushed grains in, it helps me manage the physical toll brewing takes on me by spreading it across two days.

Attachments

OP
cryptohomebrew

cryptohomebrew

Reaction score
Oh and my grainbill ended up as follows

Munich Millet - 92% (6,015 grams)
Biscuit Rice - 3% (224 grams)
Chocolate Millet - 2.27% (147 grams)
James Brown Rice - 0.65% (42 grams)

The grainbag on the right shows how dominant the Munich Millet is in this one. I do not have a refrigerator so this one is fermenting in my basement which says around 58 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit from now until the end of March. Hopefully I can get another lager in before Spring.