Multigrain blend of Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gents, first time poster and long time reader for several months now. Great forum with great information. Been brewing for a few months now and things are going well. Beer is good. Brew day routine is good. So here’s my question….got a container of a mixture of a multigrain blend of black rice, purple and hulless barley, short grain brown rice, med grain red rice and rye berries. I’d like to give it a shot in an ale but not sure where to go with it. I’ve brewed with Basmati rice before. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do with this or what I might expect.

Thanks in advance

Berk

I've never even heard of some of those grains but I can start the replies by saying that unless some of those grains are malted you'll need to either add malted barley or enzymes in order to get any conversion during the mash. Also, I'm not sure how easily a mash like that would get stuck so if I were going to do it I'd probably add rice hulls.

This is kinda interesting - and I don't recall seeing a similar situation here with all those different "grains" in the mix.
So, how much of this mix do you have - and what would be your batch size?

Cheers!

If it were me, I’d just make a single malt mash with 2 row and throw the rest in as an unknown adjunct. Maybe shoot for a 5% or so beer and possibly get lucky with a few more points contributed from the variety.

I’ve got a 2# container. Bought it on Amazon. From what I read it has a real long cook time and may be chewy. I plan to purée it after cooking before mashing. All the grains are supposed to taste very “nutty”. I plan a 3 gallon batch. Looking for some nutty hops as well I suppose. All options are open at this time.

Sounds interesting. I'd start by cooking the grains then adding to your mash. They will probably add some interesting flavor.

Agree. Looks like there's lots of grain with plenty of starch.
I'd boil the adjuncts and mash with a highly diastatic base malt. If not going for a beer, then how about a multigrain soup?
That would be my other choice.

Agree. Looks like there's lots of grain with plenty of starch.
I'd boil the adjuncts and mash with a highly diastatic base malt. If not going for a beer, then how about a multigrain soup?
That would be my other choice.

Back