Multi Tools

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a multi tool kinda guy. Love em. And I bet I'm not the only one.

I've the old and new style Leatherman Wave. Can't say enough good about them. Had some Swiss Army too. A few misc ones floating around.

What I want now is a smaller MT to carry around outside work or any time I don't want a big one. I tried plain pocket knives. Didn't do it for me.

I've a small a Cabelas branded tool. No telling who makes it. China, probably. It's surprisingly good for something I got free. The case sucks though. That tool is in my wife's car. It's a bit too small, too.

Requirements
Knife blade. A half and half straight/serrated is okay. Locking. One hand open.
Screw drivers, flat and Phillips.
Belt pouch or at least a pocket clip. I really don't like carrying much in my pockets though. HAHAHAHA! You should see me empty them at the end of the day. I suppose I could make a pouch for anything. Prefer snap close.
Pliers. 85% on that. I'd forgo for the right super cool MT, but it'd have to be some kind of cool.
Stainless steel. Minimal plastic or rubber.
A bottle opener is a big plus. I mean, c'mon.

Do not wants
Key chain tools. Wallet tools. They're cool and all. I've some, but that's no what I'm looking for now.
Tools with no knife.
Hammers or crescent wrenches. Too big.
Flashlights

Looking hard at the Leatherman Skeletool. It's 99 grams lighter than the Wave.

What else?

It's funny, I was going to ask if you'd looked at the skeletool and then I read the last sentence of your post. I have one and I can't recommend it enough. It pretty much fits all your requirements and I have no problem accessing all the tools one handed. The pliers are a bit weak torsionally, but otherwise it's great.

I'm loyal to the Leatherman brand myself. Bought a Pulse about 10-15 years ago, and have drug that thing all over creation. Newer ones are much better thought - the pulse had a cam-action lock that locked VERY well, but is a pain to release the tool, and you have to open the tool to get to all of the blades.

If I remember, I'll look tomorrow when I get to the station what tool I bought for my bunker pants. Leatherman, pocket clip, side-lock blades, half serrated knife, knife and at least one other tool accessible without opening the tool. Very happy with it. Looking at Leatherman's site, I think it's the Wingman. Many of the same featuers as the Wave, but I picked it up at Scheels for about $30.

I highly recommend a skeletool. I've had mine for a few years now and use it almost daily. Whether it be the pliers, screwdrivers, or bottle opener it gets a lot of use and is very sturdy.

Latest posts

Back