Multi-brew advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Next weekend, I am going to get ambitious: I am going to do a 5 gal Brewers Best extract kit alongside an original 5 gal AG IPA recipe. I will have help...(I'm not stupid enough to tackle this on my own).

So - I need advice on how to run a multi-brew day! Give some pitfalls to avoid!

What should I have my minions do, and what should I do?

How many burners do you have, how many kettles? There's a number of ways I could think about juggling this sort of brew schedule, but equipment (or the limitations thereof) will play a huge role in how to work it out.

I did a double batch day a few weeks ago. So long as you're doing an extract batch and an AG batch, you're golden-so long as you've got another boil kettle. Having some extra equipment iis handy. Also, have all your hops/moss/nutrients measured out and labled with times. It helps keep the day sane. I did 2 5 gallon AG batches right under 7 hours.

Good luck and happy brewing!

I would avoid drinking too much homebrew during throughout this process! That can definitely make your brew day more difficult later on!

I would mash the AG beer while you are steeping/boiling the extract beer.

Thats just me though.

I would mash the AG beer while you are steeping/boiling the extract beer.

Thats just me though.

Exactly what I was originally thinking:
1) heat strike water while starting to heat water to steep specialty grains for the extract batch.
2) mash in
3) finish steeping specialty grains --> boil extract batch.
4) heat sparge water on 2nd burner (perhaps concurrently with the end of the boil on your extract -- one person can watch the sparge, one person can babysit the late additions to the extract batch)
5) mash out/sparge AG batch
6) boil AG batch (one person can watch this while the other transfers the cooled extract batch to carboy).

I think with two people this is definitely doable...

Back