Mulberry Mead Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Thinking about using some fresh picked Mulberries for a gallon or two this year. I will prolly go with Ken Schramms idea of simply adding them to the mead after stilling and into a bag in the plastic fermementer, but unsure of the quantity I should go for. If you have made Mulberry mead or even have a recipe to share Id love to see it!

:mug:

I was planning on the same mead and had planned on following the Schramm method you describe as well. We don't have our own trees but I found some folks on Craigslist that are willing to share. Getting them is very labor intensive unless you catch the tree at a perfect time and use some tarps or something to catch them.

GTG

Well, the mulberries that I grow tend to be nice but a bit mild in flavor and I would use at least 3lbs per. gallon if not more if you have them.
I hope to have some too, even tho we did have a hard frost a few days back and some of the trees took a hit, but they are like bunnies around here ;)and I am not too worried. Just have to walk farther and hit more of the bushes and trees in the back field.
I am going to freeze them as I get them as you normally don't get that many each picking and when I have enuf then I will thaw them put a bit of Camden tablet in, wait for the required time and then pitch the yeast. Not sure if I will add anything other than the honey and nutrients.
But your idea of making the mead and then putting it over the berries at the secondary sounds like a better option, might make the flavor more pronounced.

That is typical of the Schramm method, adding them to the secondary. I've had good luck doing it that way and you have a lot more control over the flavor. I figured about 3-4 pounds per gallon and then taste it after about a week to see where its heading.

As I stated above, I do not have my own trees but am getting them from some friends. I was at their place yesterday and got about another 1.5 - 2 pounds of mulberries. I should have enough by the end of May hopefully. They also gave me some peaches and apricots with the promise of more to come. The mulberry mead may have to take a back seat to a peach ginger batch.

GTG

Latest posts

Back