Muddy Creek Brewing Co. Brewery Build- Start to Finish Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I think we need to do something different here folks. We will have been "officially open" 3 months now in a couple days.

While that doesn't make us "grizzled veterans" by any means, I think we can say that the stage 1 thread is complete.

Time to move on to the next stage of a young brewery's life. As it turns out, opening is just the start of things. Now we have to move into the next stages of our young live which involve the tricky waters of product consistency AND improvement. (Wrap your head around THAT problem!)

We've already been very pleasantly surprised by decent beer. I know that sounds weird given that we've opened a commercial brewery, but don't underestimate how hard it is to scale up your really GOOD small batches of home-brew to 300+ gallon batches and then transfer them from 3 or 4 different vessels until you're serving them through carbonated systems to customers on the other side of a wall. It's all very tricky and to manage all that and have a consistently decent product across several different beers - well if you're doing alright - you're doing alright.

The next stage is to take it to the next level and get better.

To that end I'm going to start a new thread. I'll still monitor this one. I'm happy to answer any "startup" questions I can. I know I still owe people some stuff. In fact I have my data key and can send a specific file I've been asked for forever today.

But now we'll start a new thread about what we're going to try to do to take our brewery into the next stage. Maintaining our fledgeling customer base, (loyal and extremely dedicated,) while we attempt to expand both our offerings and our reach into the local community and beyond. We're going to talk about what we're doing about marketing. How we've interacted with other brewers in the area and the state and how we're attempting to improve our brewing processes.

So, without further ado...

Catch you on the flipside...

Holy Skinny Cow Wow! Whatta' thread. Read the whole darn thing, Huge congratulations on your success thus far. I've always wanted to go to Montana, thanks for giving me another reason :0)

I just wanted to say congrats. I read the entire threat today. Reading it all at once feels like I just binge watched an entire series of a TV show. Any rate, I am pretty far away so I doubt I will get a chance to taste your beer but I really enjoyed experiencing your journey. I wish nothing but success for your business.

Renoun, talked to my plumber about that, he's installed 3 other breweries, 2 local and he promised me they'd work and he said that if I was really really unhappy I could simply upgrade to larger filters right out of the gate which is why he mounted the filters four feet off the ground. The system is 10 bbl rather than 7 as well.

There are four common/standard cartridge filter sizes -
two different lengths: 10" and 20"
two different diameters: 2.5" and 4.5". In order of capacity:
10" x 2.5" (many would recognize this as the standard under the sink filter)
20" x 2.5"
10" x 4.5" (what you have)
20" x 4.5"

And yes - you could jump up to the housings for 20" x 4.5" filters by just changing out the lower portion (called "sumps") on those filter housings. Beware however that filter sumps and lids are not interchangeable between housing brands - the threads usually don't match, and the oring placement may be different.

Russ

First, we put in a water filtration system. We have 3 diminishing filtration units 60 / 40 / 20 micron filters and the world will never be the same. We need to change them out every month. (Our plumber told me with great confidence that we could change them out every 6 months!) The filters are rated for 10,000 to 15,000 gallons and we're running a 10 bbl system so it's kinda based on math when we change them. Well, math and humanity.

Hmm. The concept of successive filters with a smaller pore size is a good one, but applies only to sediment filters. But sediment filters are not rated with a gallon capacity like you mentioned. So that tells me you are using carbon blocks with decreasing pore sizes - right?

If so, you are using carbon blocks to act as sediment filters. You can do that, but there sure is a better way...

Also - in order for carbon blocks to work effectively, they need adequate contact time with the water. 10" x 4.5" blocks are typically rated for a max flow of 2.5 to 4.0 gpm. Slower is better if the idea is to remove chlorine.

Russ

BuckEye, our plumber is coming in today to install some cages around our sprinkler heads. I will talk to him about the filtration system and get more information about it so I can better respond to your points. (I have pledged to be completely honest about the things I don't know.) I don't know about the GPM rating on the filters. So I will ask him about that and find out if there is some kind of governor or something that is helping with the filters.

Well, we seem to have survived the opening of a major food-chain restaurant.

Last week was a bit of a slow week for us as Buffalo Wild Wings opened. We saw a 2k drop in our weekly revenue, but this week we bounced back so that pleased us. It certainly gave us an idea of what to expect when the next brewery opens in a few more weeks.

Fortunately, even with the revenue drop we're still profitable. However, we certainly want to keep pounding the pavement and seeking out new accounts to branch out new revenue streams. I won't lie though. It was nice to see the taproom full again after the Wild Wings opening...

Good deal!

Ask him for the chlorine capacity and brand of each carbon block. He may not be familiar with the term "chlorine capacity," but it is an industry standard term. This is what he may have been quoting to you when he mentioned the 10,000 to 15,000 gallons. But if you use inadequate sediment filtration prior to carbon blocks, they can clog with sediment long before their ability to adsorb chlorine is exhausted.

Russ

Well, we seem to have survived the opening of a major food-chain restaurant.

Last week was a bit of a slow week for us as Buffalo Wild Wings opened. We saw a 2k drop in our weekly revenue, but this week we bounced back so that pleased us. It certainly gave us an idea of what to expect when the next brewery opens in a few more weeks.

Fortunately, even with the revenue drop we're still profitable. However, we certainly want to keep pounding the pavement and seeking out new accounts to branch out new revenue streams. I won't lie though. It was nice to see the taproom full again after the Wild Wings opening...

Have you approached BWW about an account? I know the one in Rapid City carries at least one beer, sometimes more, from Crow Peak and the one in Missoula has a few taps dedicated to Missoula breweries. If they're gonna steal your customers, at least they could be serving them your beers!

Oops, that above post should have been put in the other thread. I'm going to move it and will respond there...

For those of you who don't know...
Last weds night...
20200123_050024.jpg

Meeting with our ins. consultant tonight. We should begin to see how badly screwed we are.

Rebuild!
It could be even better now that you're in a groove on your commercial brewing process!
Possibly find an even better location and better optimized equipment.
Good luck.

Back