Much higher ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Ribbs

Reaction score
I just bottles a batch of the lakefront fixed gear extract kit and it ended up with an ABV of %8.79 which is %2 higher than it was supposed to be. I followed the recipe exactly, that all being said it still tastes great however smells pretty boozy but that should mellow out after some bottle conditioning. Sat in a dark room around 68-71 degrees and fermented a week. Any reasons as to why it's so much higher than expected? The beer is still very good so I'm happy there just curious as to why...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Was your actual original gravity (OG) higher than your estimated OG? If you used top up water, maybe you didn't add quite enough, which caused you to end up with a higher OG.

^ What he said. Also, sometimes the wort and top off water don't get completely mixed at first and you may have gotten some of the more dense wort in your hydro sample.

It was higher than the estimated OG, but I'm not sure how since it was at exactly 5 gallons and very well mixed..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back