MUCH easier than bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I racked a hazelnut brown into my first keg today and was amazed how much quicker and easier it is than bottling!! I have it force carbing right now I put 30 psi in there and shook it around for about a min. Im going to bleed the pressure off and test it in a few hours to see how it is.

BierMuncher said:
Careful...

If you think filling a keg is easier than bottles, wait till you start emptying a keg. ;)

Bingo. Filling kegs is very easy. Keeping them filled, not so much...

kegging rules! i'll trade one big bottle for 50 any day. i've noticed that my beer goes MUCH quicker in the keg though! :(

You can certainly carb it faster but letting it age will make it much better. I am finding this out with my kegs after 2-3 weeks on the gas. So take it easy if you want it to taste best.

Just remember carbing at 30 psi won't make up for immature beer.

It can also give inconsistent results at first. I find it much easier to set it at serving psi, and forget it for 2 weeks. That gives me 2 more weeks of aging, plus simple-stupid carbing.

BierMuncher said:
Careful...

If you think filling a keg is easier than bottles, wait till you start emptying a keg. ;)

+1,000 on that!

You should put this quote on some sort of a sticky or something. Words can't even begin to describe how easy it is to empty a 5 gallon keg. :drunk:

malkore said:
Just remember carbing at 30 psi won't make up for immature beer.

It can also give inconsistent results at first. I find it much easier to set it at serving psi, and forget it for 2 weeks. That gives me 2 more weeks of aging, plus simple-stupid carbing.

It wasn't carbonated nearly enough after pressurizing it with 30 psa and letting it sit all day. If I want to take it easy and put it at about 8psi and leave it for a couple weeks would I connect the liquid or is it ok just to leave the gas connected and the liquid disconnected?

darkstar79 said:
is it ok just to leave the gas connected and the liquid disconnected?

Thats fine. Check for any poppet leak on the liquid line and relief valve with the soap test. The just forget about for a couple of weeks--but thats the hard part.

jfish63 said:
The first keg I filled was empty the first day it was tapped. Me and 2 close friends got pretty sloppy.

Sounds like you had a nice drunken 3some. :mug:

Man I got to get me a keg. My dad actually suggested it when he came over for christmas. I can't do it where I live cause I don't have the space. The wife won't let me get anymore gear till we move. :(

Back