mr.beer kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while you can actually brew some fair beer from a mr beer kit - past your second batch if the bug has bit - you will want to upgrade. the premium mr beer kit will run ya $40 then another $20 or so for shipping. for your $60 investment you can get a much better set up at the afore mentioned (or a sleWof other) links. infact i would first try to see if there are any homebrewer supply stores in your local area - if so you save the shipping.

the quality will improve with your equipment generally.

brewhead said:
infact i would first try to see if there are any homebrewer supply stores in your local area - if so you save the shipping.

What you will save is the shipping (it's free) and the tax if you use the afore mentioned link.

I never heard anything good about any of those one-step set-ups.

If I were to give but one bit of advice to a person just interested in brewing it would be...befriend a brewer and asking him/her if you could join them on brew day. This way you can see what it's all about and maybe sample some.

homebrewer_99 said:
..befriend a brewer and asking him/her if you could join them on brew day. This way you can see what it's all about and maybe sample some.

sound advice. i adopted a local microbrewery (thomas creek) to be my mentor. i try not to hound him incessently because he does run a business - but i do run things by him and he is of the temperment that he will let me fail and give advice - knowing that the end result is me having more experience.

btw - several ppl have tried my initial mr beer attempts and liked the results. i followed the recipes to the tee. will your experience be the same?,....who knows..but welcome aboard the long road of learning to brew the ultimate brew.

Edit: should've looked at the link dammit. Mine is a pressure keg, totally different looking to this - more like this:http://www.bigboystoys.co.uk/products/king_keg_personal_brewery_bitter_-_save_£20.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I got one of those for xmas, and whilst i had some initial problems (pressure valve was leaking, didn't have it hot enough to start with, took 6 weeks instead of 3) I produced a very nice first batch, the general consensus from all who tried it was "Much better than I thought it was going to be - a bit like a dark belgian beer" which I thought was funny cos it was an english ale!
Anyway, since then I've bought a 25litre fermenter, and have fermented a new brew (irish ale) and racked it into the mr beer keg (mine is called a Microbrewery King Keg - same thing I think) and it's currently in secondary fermentation. I learnt from the mistakes and it's much warmer than the first time, and it seems to be doing well from the few ozs of beer I pull out from time to time.
If space is an issue, then the king keg is very handy in that it's quite small and can be tucked away in a corner somewhere. Also there's no more time investment needed than the first setup - no racking off midway through the brew. And it's a very simple intro to the process. I'm glad I got mine, and have now expanded my empire slightly with some more kit.

I'm glad someone was pleased with the results. Good to hear.

I'd be ashamed of owning that company if there were no good reviews. But then again...most people are there for the $$$ and couldn't care less about the quality of the product (especially if the product doesn't kill you).

As for room...I am pretty fortunate. I have a kitchen in my basement as well as another storage room where I keep my supplies (5 carboys, 8 buckets, etc.) and 200+ mug/glass collection.

I try to keep 2-3 batches going at all times. I have a Hefe Weizen in the primary, a Weizen bottle conditioning and a Czech Bud lagering in the secondary (for over 90 days now). I should get home this weekend where I'll brew another batch, rack the Weizen and possibly bottle the Bud-style. I call it "Billvar".

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm glad someone was pleased with the results. Good to hear.

well i wouldn't say pleased. pleased conotates satisfaction - a state that needs no moving forward or tweaking. they liked it and i would say it was fair beer - not great beer. :p

at any rate in the space dept - i have a barn to party in and brew heh so it's not an issue. ifound myself gazing at a corner the other day wondering what a couple of 8' tall kettles would look like there. heh

I'd accept "pleased" as a review. I was trying to be kind...

Yeah, I have a single car garage at the end of my 2+ acres that I am starting to seriously think about turning into a Biergarten.

I planted 4 hops plants at the end of the garage a couple of weeks ago. I have (mental) plans for the rest of it. I just have to put it on paper now. :D

Where are you located? Maybe we can set up a traveling party across the nation this summer with other interested folks? :D You know, drop by with some tents, help them cut their grass, brew, review, BS, and drink some beers, etc.

homebrewer_99 said:
Where are you located? Maybe we can set up a traveling party across the nation this summer with other interested folks? :D You know, drop by with some tents, help them cut their grass, brew, review, BS, and drink some beers, etc.

hah hah a brew-a-palooza. i am in sc.

would be a nice start if this forum had a gallery where ppl could show their brew digs.

i planted some hops as well - i heard they grow rather prolific.

as far as pleased being a good review - anything shy of projectile vomiting i take as a plus - but i can see me tweaking a recipe for a long time to make it uniquely mine. that's what i forsee doing. finding a recipe i REALLY like and tweak it to be my own.

I started off with a Mr.Beer kit. The "finished beer started off o.k. , got worse, then became great a few months later. At one point, my horse wouldn't even drink it ! He's a lush. I gave up on the Mr.Beer kit, though I still use the bottles and the little fermenter along with a carboy. I've been having to drink 40 oz bottles of commercial beer just so I can reuse the bottles. It's hard, but I will suffer for the art.
I've got 20 acres here in eastern N.C. just off from the Neuse river and the Pamlico sound. It's not waterfront, but we have a pond next door and it's a short ride down to the river. I'd be honored for my place to be a stop on the 1st annual Beer-a palooza. It's like uniting people through fermentation. Can I get a KUMBAYA ?

I'm new to the hobby of homebrewing, and far from an expert. But I started with Brewer's Best. My 1st batch is done and I'm drinking it now. It's really good. My 2nd is in the bottle. I have 3 more Brewer's best kits coming, then I'll start on recipes on this site and others.

All can can talk about is my 1st batch of beer...it's really good. The brewer's Best ingredient kits are good, and the instructions are easy. If you are new to the game, I'd say these guys are the bomb for n00bs like me.

Back