Mr. Beer 750ml bottles in checked baggage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerBrew

Reaction score
Hi folks...

Wondering if any of you have packed home brew (plastic 750ml bottles) in checked airline baggage. I checked with Alaska Airlines and they allow up to 5 liters in checked baggage.

Has anyone done it and if so, how did you pack the bottles?

Yeah, I know... a stupid question but then I have never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer....:drunk:

regards,

RugerBrew

careful with plastic at altitude. cant hold changes in pressure like glass or metal can do. wouldnt want to open up your luggage to find its been soaked in beer.

I've never had an issue packing glass bottles in my checked luggage. I put them into ziplock bags and make sure they're packed tightly in the middle of the suitcase with as little wiggle room as possible. Never tried it with plastic though.

I would think the security group would want to open that luggage and check them out...Most of the time there is a XRay station right at the point you turn in the bags. Did they go into your bags and check those glass bottles?

I've successfully checked 500ml PET bottles. Seal them in ziplocks for extra protection, then pack in center of suitcase wrapped/surrounded by soft stuff.

Brew on :mug:

I would think the security group would want to open that luggage and check them out...Most of the time there is a XRay station right at the point you turn in the bags. Did they go into your bags and check those glass bottles?

Not that I know of. They always arrive looking the same way I packed them. I noticed a sticker that said "cleared by TSA" or something like that, but my wife's bag had that too. I don't think they care nearly as much whats in the checked bags vs the carry-ons. I carry empty growler on board all the time too and never have an issue.

I use to caary hard cider in 750 ml glass bottle all the time. I just ensured taht whatever I was carrying and could be seen as important to me was not in the bag in case one of the bottle broke. Never bothered with ziplock bag, just assumed that any broken glass will get a blast punching a hole in that bag. Now my shaving cream is always in plastic bag don't ask me why.

careful with plastic at altitude. cant hold changes in pressure like glass or metal can do. wouldnt want to open up your luggage to find its been soaked in beer.

I've done it several times with no issues. As a matter of fact, I flew from 20' above sea level to 7,500' above sea level with no problems-not even foam.

From TSA:

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

I've checked up to 10 liters for a fishing excursion. No issues. But, it is supposed to be clearly labeled.

Please note: The FAA limits quantities of alcohol permitted on board planes based on the alcohol content (proof). In general, there is no limit on the amount of alcoholic beverages containing 24% or less alcohol in checked baggage.

Thanks to all.... I'm going to pack a half dozen bottles. I'm thinking I will put a couple bottles in FoodSaver vacuum bags - just in case.

Best

RugerBrew

Back