Moving WLP001 inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goolsbymd

Reaction score
Ok so I have read a ton of threads about fermenting cold and moving to a higher temp a few days later and those that are against it. Here's my delema:
Chinook IPA WLP001 has been in the fermentation chamber for exactly a week at 62. It was working great but we have had a bit of a cold snap this week. My garage is not heated and cannot hold temps steady it has now dropped to 60. I put my new hefeweizen in yesterday and it is still at 60 and dropping, however a lapse in judgement i put the thermometer against the new hefeweizen and now the IPA per the tape is sitting at 57-59. The outside temp is not expected to raise above 60 till Monday. Should I just let it ride or bring in the IPA where we keep the house temp at 70 since its past its super active stage?

Or should i heat the inside of the ferm chamber? Only thing I can think to heat it is some contained hot water, a garage shop drop light but it's LED so won't produce much heat.

Go ahead and bring it inside, it will take some time for it to warm up so it should be gradual. I use 001 a lot and usually pitch mid 60's and hold it for 3-4 days at that temp before ramping it up slowly and ending at around 72 or so. If the temp change is gradual, which yours should be then there shouldn't be any issue at all. All the flavors/off-flavors are produced during the first couple days of growth. You are now at the point where you need to keep the yeast active for as long as possible to get the beer to attenuate fully and allow the yeast to clean-up any of the byproducts produced during fermentation that you don't want in your finished beer.

I actually ramp up the temps on all my beers after the initial growth phase and they all attenuate fully and have no off-flavors. This is not only my opinion but also what Jamil recommends and my beers have all scored well at BJCP comps.

Thats kind of what I was thinking as the active part is done they are not producing their own heat as much now. Temps outside are 50s in the day low 40s at night. Holding 60 is quite difficult.

Back