moving to florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
ok so i'm going to be moving to florida soon and was wondering if there are any LHBS in the orlando area.

alright cool yeah i have friends that live in tampa but its still about a 3 hour drive from orlando. wish i would have the space for storing in bulk but will be in an apartment due to just going to be there to finish up school

I was in Tampa for 5 years for grad school (this was pre-homebrewing for me). They're only about 70 miles apart, I made it from downtown Tampa to downtown Orlando in a little over an hour plenty of times. Sure, if there's a wreck or you hit Disney traffic on I-4 it will slow you down, but not to three hours (at least very not very often).

Heart's is good as long as you know what you want and aren't looking for discussion or help. Prices are decent and selection's not too bad either. Tiny shop but has a decent beer selection inside also given the size of the place...

I'll second the vote for Southern Brewing in Tampa - they're right off I-275 just north of I-4. I drive to Orlando every couple months and I can assure you, it's not a 3 hour drive - much closer to an hour and a half, maybe two depending on where in Orlando you're coming from. SB has everything and anything you could need.

Oh, and welcome to Florida!

- Chris

Also if you're looking for good commercial beer, and especially if you like belgians, try Knightly Spirits in the Metro west area. I used to love that place, although I think Jason the good manager left years ago.

Also, make sure you hook up with the local homebrew clubs. If you are closer to downtown cfhb.org is a good sized club with lots of great brewers and if you are north of Orlando we have small informal group in volusia county vchbg.org

I remember seeing Heart's trashed on here about a year ago about really poor customer service. I don't remember if it was online ordering or in person. I just remember the name and the bad rap.

+1 to southern brewing Good group of guys and they know their stuff. BTW in case you haven't heard yet they just became a March Pump dealer. They should be getting their first shipment in soon. They are also improving the pots they recieve from their supplier. Apparently there was some issues with leakage and metal burs in the fitting so they send them to a metal shop to fix them up prior to sale. Pretty awesome that they take the extra step!!

To OP: IMO order online. One or two of those cheap, stackable totes from Home Depot should hold quite a bit of grain. I use one for specialty grains and another for base grains. I order base grains in bulk from Country Malt group and everything else from Midwest.

IME, Hearts doesn't have that good of a selection and the staff are often not very friendly. They don't carry White Labs yeast at all (not really that big of a deal since most of their strains are available from Wyeast) and often are missing the Wyeast strains I want. And if they do have the Wyeast strain...it's often only available in Propagator packs (not Activator packs). They often do not get in any Wyeast PC strains at all (they didn't get this past Summer Series at all). And it's cheaper to order online.

And I can't see driving all the way to Tampa when you can have it delivered to your door for less.

And welcome to Florida.:mug:

I was in Tampa for 5 years for grad school (this was pre-homebrewing for me). They're only about 70 miles apart, I made it from downtown Tampa to downtown Orlando in a little over an hour plenty of times. Sure, if there's a wreck or you hit Disney traffic on I-4 it will slow you down, but not to three hours (at least very not very often).

the thing is i've attended school in olrando in the past and lived there a few years ago and have made the trip plenty of times and ok i'm sorry your right its 3 hours to sarasota. but still about a 2 hour trip atleast thats how it was a few years ago due to construction on I-4 if construction is done awsome

+1 to southern brewing Good group of guys and they know their stuff. BTW in case you haven't heard yet they just became a March Pump dealer. They should be getting their first shipment in soon. They are also improving the pots they recieve from their supplier. Apparently there was some issues with leakage and metal burs in the fitting so they send them to a metal shop to fix them up prior to sale. Pretty awesome that they take the extra step!!

thats good news to hear especially considering that a pump is all i need to complete my HERMS system

To OP: IMO order online. One or two of those cheap, stackable totes from Home Depot should hold quite a bit of grain. I use one for specialty grains and another for base grains. I order base grains in bulk from Country Malt group and everything else from Midwest.

IME, Hearts doesn't have that good of a selection and the staff are often not very friendly. They don't carry White Labs yeast at all (not really that big of a deal since most of their strains are available from Wyeast) and often are missing the Wyeast strains I want. And if they do have the Wyeast strain...it's often only available in Propagator packs (not Activator packs). They often do not get in any Wyeast PC strains at all (they didn't get this past Summer Series at all). And it's cheaper to order online.

And I can't see driving all the way to Tampa when you can have it delivered to your door for less.

And welcome to Florida.:mug:

looks like i wont be going to hearts unless i absolutely need something right at the moment.

and for the driving to tampa exactly my thoughts. but i figure if i'm there visiting friends it can't hurt to stop buy and peak my head in. i can walk around and not purchase anything lol (yeah and SWMBO can walk into a shoe store and not buy 3 pairs of shoes lol).

thanks for the welcomes its been a few years since i've lived there and only lived there for a couple years. i hope the ale house is still there from what i remember they had pretty decent beer.

yeah i know but sure alot of fun. i have a buddy that lives there as well

Also the Orlando Brewery has some pretty good beer, and the owner John is a great guy. I personally don't live there anymore, but I obviously did in the past.

Also the Orlando Brewery has some pretty good beer, and the owner John is a great guy. I personally don't live there anymore, but I obviously did in the past.

alright cool i didn't even know they had brewery in orlando. it just keeps getting better lol.

You mentioned you are moving down to finish school,where are you going? I graduated from UCF and lived in Orlando for 8 years before moving to Jacksonville. There are a couple Ale houses in Orlando, I use to go to the one by UCF all the time.

You mentioned you are moving down to finish school,where are you going? I graduated from UCF and lived in Orlando for 8 years before moving to Jacksonville. There are a couple Ale houses in Orlando, I use to go to the one by UCF all the time.

i'm actually going to full sail right down the road from ucf as you more then likely already know. and there was an ale house basically right on full sails property not sure if its still there but i hope it is

I went to the orlando brewery oktober fest and it was a good time. They are one of few certified organic breweries in the US. Always a plus to hang out with hot hippie chicks drinking a double IPA. Also you should get to world of beer in orlando and when in sarasota check out shakespears english pub. They have a good selection of belgians and some obscure beers from around the world.

I used to live in Jacksonville and now live about 5 miles from UCF.

I keep meaning to make it to Orlando Brewery. I should take the free tour.

You're prob talking about Orlando Ale House and they have several locations around town (or at least they used to, haven't been in ages). There is an Alafaya Ale house just a few miles south of UCF on Alafaya but I know nothing about it. I need to change that.:)

For good beer you need to hit Redlight, Redlight on Bennett road downtown Orlando. Also worth the trip up to Deland to hit Abbey IMO. Abbey has a great vibe and always has some great stuff on tap - and several of the bartenders are homebrewers so they really know their stuff. It's also where our club meets every month...

IMO Heart's is ok. Selection is decent also. Not best place, but alright and def worth the visit when you are in the area.

Where exactely are you moving to?

+1 for Southern Brewing. Their website is disappointing... if you saw a picture of the inside of this place, you wouldn't hesitate. Extremely friendly, knowledged staff (all brewers). 10% grain discount for members of local beer clubs. I get a $42 bag (55#) of 2-row there. They carry some equipment (just bought my Therminator there).

More than 100 blue barrels of different grains. Nice.

It is buried behind an Amscot in an industrial area. I mean buried. I don't believe there is a sign out front, but I could be wrong. Just look for the Amscot.

Just for a good laugh you should go to hearts. It is like a SNL skit if you ask a question. I have boycotted them for life at least 10 times. I wish there was some other option in Orlando.

Heart's is not the friendliest help in town. And god forbid you show up and ask for a recipe to be put together at the last minute. He'll sneer at you and tell you its easier to order online and pick it up later.

I liken them to the "Soup Nazi". Get what you need, don't talk, and get out.

But, they know they are the only one in town, and they have a decent selection....so, oh well.

There is also homebrew emporium in Daytona. But they have a small selection. and a little more pricey on some things. They are friendlier.

That being said, I often go to both of these places for last minute brew itches, or forgotten ingredients.

Better than nothing if you haven't time to order online.

+1 on the Abbey in Deland

Florida is a good place to live in. It is divided into five parts i.e. North, Central and South Florida along with the East and West coast. Well, it comes under the 10 most expensive states, however, you can still find good home within your budget. Although, if you are not sure from where to start, you can seek help of experts on their social profile i.e. LinkedIn @ Leonard Albanese who could help you out in moving process.

Latest posts

Back