Moving to Dallas - what's the local beer scoop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musikguru6

Reaction score
Hey all!

So, I'm graduating college in less then a month, and relocating from central NY to Dallas. I need to know what the local beer scene is like. Given that it's Texas, I'm assuming it's good, but I don't know whats good, where to get it, where the good beer bars/brew pubs are, that kind of thing. I'll be closer to AHS...that much I know! :ban: Thanks!

Musikguru,

I've toured Dallas a number of times for business looking for good beer. I can definitely recommend Gingerman along with the Idle Rich. Both are located very close to each other and very close to downtown. Not to totally plug one of my favorite beer blogs, but you can read more about one person's trip to Dallas by going to this website (http://ebeersnob.com/EBeerArchive.html) and choosing newsletter #5. It's got a lot of good information on Dallas.

Arkansas Beer Nerd

Flying Saucer in Addison is also good. A+ on Idle Rich Pub, I love that place.

Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson (on Coit between Arapaho and Belt Line) is the nearest LHBS.

+1 on The Ginger Man and Flying Saucer, the guys at Homebrew HQ are great and AHS orders only take 1 day to get here...

That being said, I am sorry to tell you, but we have ONE microbrewery in the D/FW area, Rahr. Good bottle selections are hard to come by, Central Market seems to have the best selections, and you can make your own six pack. There is also a smattering of mediocre "brew pubs", but you are definately moving to the land of BMC. TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) laws are just terrible. New Belgium actually had to re-name one of their brews to distribute to Texas. Not to say that you can't find a good beer here, but if you're looking for bottles, you are SOL if you are used to the brew selection in NY. This along with the fact that even the city is full of good ol' boys who wouldn't be caught dead drinking anything other than their bud/miiler/coors light, make it difficult and unprofitable for more than 2 pubs to carry a good beer selection.

I don't mean to make it sound bad, I was born and raised here and I love the place. But it's damn hard to find beer sometimes, ESPECIALLY the rarer ones.

The Old Monk on Greenville has a great selection of beers (especially Belgians), great food, and a nice outdoor patio. And I second the Gingerman - great selection of brews there...But +1 on the lack of microbreweries/brewpubs. When I lived there (about 3 years ago) there was a place called Two-Rows that had some allright beers...they had a IPA called Hopzilla that was pretty good...but I don't even know if they are still around...

Good luck with the move!

Humperdinks used to make their own beer in Addison but not anymore. I think the location off of 35E still does. It's decent. I've not been terribly impressed with Two Rows's beer.

Rahr has tastings and tours on Saturday. $4 gets you a pint glass and 4 refills.. I think each time you bring the glass back another time you get 4 more.

thanks for the info! that's dissapointing that the selection isn't as good as NY. for whatever reason, i was expecting it to be better. i guess i'll just have to find the time to brew more often!

Back