moving to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon.

As i move to all grain brewing I have a few questions.

I have read about the importance of water chemistry, PH and correcting for a particular beer style.

As I begin is it vital that I have a water report first?
I am on a well and need to send a sample out.

Is correcting for mineral content so vital that I should wait on brewing my first batch?

Also should I get PH testing equipment first as well?
thanks to all again

Greg

Does your water taste good for drinking? If so I would just brew a batch and see if you like it. If it has off tastes then perhaps a water report would help, providing the off taste wasn't from fermenting too warm or under pitching yeast. To me, it seems like worrying about water is when you feel the need to improve your beer for competition or for a party.

OK thank you so much, we are on well water and do run a whole house filtration system.. taste great even the unfiltered water. we put one in 10yrs ago due to radon levels here in NH. Gotta love the granite state.

Ok will brew away.

How about correcting for PH? I did pick up a PH tester. putting things together slowly.

Good afternoon.

I have read about the importance of water chemistry, PH and correcting for a particular beer style.

Is correcting for mineral content so vital that I should wait on brewing my first batch?

thanks to all again

Greg

In my experience, you definitely want to know what is in your water. A water report will let you know what styles your water is best suited for, but most importantly its impact on your mash pH. I noticed improvement in my beer after focusing on water and mash pH. I do not mess with minerals to fit a water profile, only mash pH to keep it simple. I switched to RO water instead of tap so I have an idea what my water make-up is. My tap water can change significantly from month-to-month, so it was difficult to brew with. A pH meter is your friend. All of us have different circumstances or preferences, but I would use RO water if possible. If you do not want to wait on a water report, you could use a cheap aquarium kit to test your well water to see how much bicarbonate/Alkalinity is in it to give you an idea how it will impact your mash pH. Good luck!

are u in the us? - your profile is blank - what city are u in? - what is your local brewery what is the most popular brew. -

Good afternoon.

thanks to all again

Greg

Vital, No - but if in usa - its required by law for the local water municipal to give you any and all info related to your drinking water being delivered to your home.

Vital, No - It will make the beer taste better (not necessarily true) It will make the planned recipe taste how it should taste and It will be closer to bcjp guidelines (better statement)

correct water profiles help with conversion rate so efficiency. It will also help with allowing to control wheater you want a balanced or malty or bitter outcome.

No, but maybe a nice Christmas ideal for family - I would just use palmers srm calculator sheet for general range until you get one.

Back