Moving to a bigger system,, question about purging 2bbl jacketed ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience purging a jacketed fermenter w co2 before filling it up? Same process as purging a keg? Won't that run through co2 really fast? Thanks

Why would you do that? Un-fermented wort will benefit from O2 and you'll wind up with plenty of CO2 in there from fermentation...

For primary? I wouldn't purge for primary as the yeast will take up o2 and you'll develop co2 rather quickly which will purge the tank for you.

I'd think it will tank a bunch of co2 to purge 2 bbl's of air

ditto. the ambient oxygen is a benefit when fermentation starts.

if you're worried about it from a sanitation aspect, then what you can do is clean the hell out of it, and then hit it with sanitizer. then open the bottom port, and blow compressed air through a sterile filter into a top port. all the old air and leftover sanitizer should come out the bottom.

i think thats a bit overkill, but if you are brewing outside or in a dirty/dusty/etc type place then it might make more sense. if you have an oilless compressor you're good to go, if its an oiled type, make sure you have good water/oil filter on the compressor or you'll dirty/clog the sterile filter.

Back