Moving to 10 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenBrew

Reaction score
Question about moving to a 10 gallon setup. But first...

I've now been brewing about 18 months. When I first started, I talked to the guys at the LHBS, read every single thing I could get my hands on, searched the Internet, then bought my beginner kit.

I figured I'd make a batch every few months to save some money on beer, and have a little fun. Little did I know.

Started with extract, no grains, then quickly moved to steeping grains. Soon discovered the joys of buying hops in bulk. I love hopsdirect.com! Next, All Grain. Man, did I ever screw this one up. I did the mash perfect, boil, sanitation, but let about 4 batches ferment too hot. My LHBS told me AT LEAST 70. I don't go there anymore. Once Yoop & Revvy straightened me out, I bought a fermentation fridge. Suddenly my coworkers are asking for growlers of my beer. All humbleness aside - my beer rocks. (picture below for absolute proof! My Pale Ale - wrong kind of glass I know, but it shows the beer off really well.)

Next, getting rid of the bottles. I built my keezer over Christmas, I have one more tap to install on my keezer, ran out of money at three taps. When it's done, I'll have four kegs on tap, and two carbing up. I have to say, kegging is awesome. It's probably my imagination, but I really think it improved the taste.

Now, I'd like to move up to 10g batches. I'm going to get a keg, make a keggle, and make a CFC.

The question - FINALLY! I've got a Bayou Classic burner (the square one, does 55,000 BTUs). My question is, with a keggle, do I need to move up to a bigger burner, or will this one work?

Thanks!

PaleAle.jpg

It will take longer, but it should still boil the water/wort. If you can wrap the keggle with some fireproof insulative material, it would help to retain heat, thus boil faster.

For summer it will certainly be fine. A friend uses that burner exclusively and does 10 gallons all the time. The only time he has trouble with it (it just takes a long time) is in winter when it is below 35 or especially when it is colder and windy.

I can do 12 gallon batches in my keggle, on an old turkey fryer burner. It works just fine, but doesn't boil too quickly.

Thanks for the replies.

Now imagine my wife rolling her eyes when I tell her I'm going to NOW start doing 10 gallon batches. 'Weren't we supposed to SAVE money by you brewing your own beer???'

Yeah, right. :D

Back