Moving from Primary to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th767

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my third batch and first time I'm going to move to a secondary to clear the beer!
Just moved the primary out of the tub to my "brewery" where I'm going to do the transfer. After the motion of movingthe carboy the yeasties are looking like they're still at it in the Primary. Should I hold off a little while longer or go ahead a move.

IPA has been in Primary for 10 days at around 70*F.

Thanks!

Save yourself some time and put that beer right back where it was fermenting and don't touch for a week...you will not "clear" your beer anymore by putting it into secondary, that is a myth.

I wouldn't move it until I got two/three successive days with the same specific gravity reading on my hydrometer. All that should happen in the secondary is increased clarity, with little, if any, fermentation.

glenn514

I vote for keeping it in the primary for another ten days at least, then packaging (racking to bottles or keg). You'll be happy you did.

Eric

the beer will clear just as good in the primary as in the secondary. if left on the yeast the yeast will clean up any byproducts they created during fermentation and give you a clean beer.

Thanks guys, will be leaving in primary. Yeasties look like they're having fun making me beer ;)

While the above posts are not incorrect, IMO there is still plenty of yeast in your beer to clean up any byproducts should you wish to transfer to secondary. No harm in doing so, though it may not work for everyone.

Proof that a secondary or filtering is not necessary for a clear beer (in some cases):
DSC01367.JPG

FWIW, last fall I got out of brewing like a mad mad for three years and left a couple of batches in primary. Both from September 09. Bottled them yesterday morning and they may be the clearest beers I've ever botteld, including those that I have put in a brightening tank.

I will still secondary though....mostly for bulk aging, lagering, fruit, and "oh damn i need a primary free"

Back