Moving from East Coast to West, can I take hops (grown in planters) with me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westchesterBrewer

Reaction score
The title says it all, except that I will be moving at the end of June.

I currently have 3 planters (homemade earth boxes) that are easily moveable. Except by the end of June, the plants will be VERY tall. Is it possible to just cut the bines down to the crown, and move them? And hope they grow a little to stay alive until next season? I am not expecting any yield this year due to the move.

Or is moving a plant from the east coast to west coast a no-no because of the possibility of bringing microbes or bugs from one area to another?

I don't mind giving them up, but I just don't want to start all over again - I am expecting a good yield out of these next year, when they are 3 years old.

Any ideas?

Probably depends on the states you're passing through and whether or not they have agricultural check stations. California certain does.

Otherwise I think it's fine to move plants.

Do you live in an area with Japanese Beetle and are you moving to CA? If yes, do us all a favor and don't bring the plants.

Don't say anything if you drive through ag check stations. Tell them you're coming from the closest major city on vacation to the closest major city.

If you're moving to California it depends where you move. The third largest state in the nation has a LOT of different climate. From the highest point in the state to the lowest is something like 3 hours driving.

I just did the opposite...from Los Angeles to the northeast. I can tell you California takes agricultural imports very seriously. CA produces the majority of the country's [non-meat] food. Washington and especially Oregon will be none too pleased with hops in particular.

If you're headed to one of the aforementioned states it would be irresponsible (and illegal) to bring planters filled with potential nasties with you. Why not give your plants away or sell them, and start fresh on arrival? Rhizomes are a dime a dozen. You'd be doing yourself and the plants a favor. Get a friend or fellow brewer to cultivate your hops and mail over the bounty.

If you really want to bring them look into a soil drench that will kill any bugs in there. I don't know of any off the top of my head but they do exist. Cut bines back to about a foot, spray the heck out of them with an anti-fungal (neem should do). In fact I think you can use neem as a soil drench.

Be smart. Don't be patient zero.

Oregon has a quarantine on Hops/ rhizomes. you aren't allowed to bring any into the state.

This is from the Oregon Hops Commission website:
"As a reminder the state of Oregon is under a hop quarantine that prevents entry of hop roots from anywhere outside of the state."

Don't say anything if you drive through ag check stations. Tell them you're coming from the closest major city on vacation to the closest major city.

If you're moving to California it depends where you move. The third largest state in the nation has a LOT of different climate. From the highest point in the state to the lowest is something like 3 hours driving.

Really, this is your answer:confused:

Really, this is your answer:confused:

Yes. I drive into California on a regular basis and I grew up there. Hops will not ruin the agriculture in the state AND the state agriculture varies widely depending where you live. Nevada plates driving in don't know I went to Kansas and picked up vegetables and fruits and hop plants and they do nothing but watch me sow down and tell me to have a good day. The ag stations are a joke and they don't stop anything. They simply pay people to stand around and tell people to have a good day.

Oregon is the same way. Drive in with Washington or California or Nevada or Idaho plates and they wave you through. Never mind I'm driving a 1 ton truck with a camper shell and the back is FILLED with produce.

Sounds like you have a home for your hops, but if you feel attached to your hops you could take a few tip cutting and put them in water to get them to root. Leave them in water while you move so there is not a concern about soil born pest and the small cutting could easily be inspected.

Great lakes hops sells plants and it looks like they are available year round so if you got some and planted this summer they might be more productive than rhizomes planted next spring.

Last edited:
Oregon is the same way. Drive in with Washington or California or Nevada or Idaho plates and they wave you through. Never mind I'm driving a 1 ton truck with a camper shell and the back is FILLED with produce.

Whatever floats your boat. Fortunately not everyone feels this way. Cheers

Back