Moving CO2 Tank out of Kegerator - Fittings Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my kegerator I have a 5lb CO2 tank with a dual gauge regulator and a Wye splitter in place of the shutoff barb like so:

tn2_large_742-2081810131335.jpg

I want to move the tank outside the kegerator but only run one gas line in and have the wye splitter on the inside to distribute.

What will I need to connect the regulator to the wye splitter:

1) 5/16" shutoff valve at the regulator side?
2) ????? at the Wye splitter side?
3) 5/16" gas line from (1) to (2)

Thanks!!

Do you only have one tank?
If so, why not run one of the WYE outlets into the kegerator and use the 2nd WYE out for "utility" purposes, like force carbonating, purging, etc. You would have to shut one and then open the other if you need different operating pressures to do this.

Do you only have 2 kegs in your kegerator? If more, probably better to get a manifold. I'd hate to rely solely on the keg QDs' seals when not in use.

Do you only have one tank?
If so, why not run one of the WYE outlets into the kegerator and use the 2nd WYE out for "utility" purposes, like force carbonating, purging, etc. You would have to shut one and then open the other if you need different operating pressures to do this.

Do you only have 2 kegs in your kegerator? If more, probably better to get a manifold. I'd hate to rely solely on the keg QDs' seals when not in use.

I have one tank and my kegerator hold two 5gal cornies. I have shutoffs on each of the wye outlets so when one isn't in use, I shut the valve. If both are not in use, I shut the valve on both wye outlets and shut the main valve on the co2 tank. If both are not in use, that is a major issue :ban:

I could definitely have a wye inside the kegerator for the two kegs and one at the tank. I might do that as a future project.

That leaves me with the same question #2 above though :)

On my old keezer I used some 3/8" barbs on both sides with a 2-3" threaded pipe between the keezer lumber.

Now I simply drilled a hole in the side of the fridge and stuffed my CO2 line through.

Both scenarios had my manifold inside the unit.
smugshot_456365-XL.jpg

Not done yet... :D

I can't help you with your connectors, look on KegConnection perhaps for ideas.
Think about your typical use and always try a bit of future proofing.

If you do your kegging in the same area as the kegerator, having the utility outlet on your (now external) bottle is quite handy. A second regulator, if you have one, is even better but not paramount. Shut-offs work fine.

If you need to move your bottle each time to your kegging area, it would be very handy to have a shutoff and a gas quick disconnect on the outside of the kegerator. I saw a post on HBT with that setup. Then one wye outlet has the matching QD for the kegerator, while the other is your utility connection. Inside your kegerator you'd have a wye or a manifold with shutoffs, or just a T and rely on the keg QDs. I always check my keg QDs with Starsan when disconnected and carrying pressure.

That should work, the price seems super high though.

Here is a really old setup I used in a now retired fridge and my last keezer. Maybe it was 1/4". It worked is all I recall.
IMG_1760-XL.jpg

Yowsa! That adapter is not that big as in the picture, only a bit over 1/4" thick and 1" long. Shipping is less than a buck. HD/Lowe's may have them, not sure if they go that small there.

Don't forget hose clamps.

If you do your kegging in the same area as the kegerator, having the utility outlet on your (now external) bottle is quite handy. A second regulator, if you have one, is even better but not paramount. Shut-offs work fine.

If you need to move your bottle each time to your kegging area, it would be very handy to have a shutoff and a gas quick disconnect on the outside of the kegerator. I saw a post on HBT with that setup. Then one wye outlet has the matching QD for the kegerator, while the other is your utility connection. Inside your kegerator you'd have a wye or a manifold with shutoffs, or just a T and rely on the keg QDs. I always check my keg QDs with Starsan when disconnected and carrying pressure.

I'll likely go with a Wye on the co2 tank with one outlet going to the kegerator (to another wye to feed the two kegs) and the other with a shutoff/gas line and QD for utility. I like that idea a lot.

This one is much cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNKIDK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of getting a second Wye splitter so that I can have a utility line outside the kegerator and a split inside, I decided to get a 2 way manifold instead. This way I keep the CO2 tank, regulator, wye splitter and shutoff valves intact as they are. Then run a line into the kegerator to the manifold and distribute from there. Simple is best.

Back