Moving beer fined with gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdigar

Reaction score
So let's say I have a beer in a keg that I want to fine with gelatin. I have not done much with gelatin to date but from reading I understand that the first few pours or so once everything drops out will be hazy then wha-la, clear. However, I also read that you do not want to move your leg after fining. My problem is I need to! Will it still be a problem to move the keg if I draw the few pints of haze off the bottom before moving? Or will there be enough gunk left on the bottom of the keg that I'm going to have problems? Any thoughts???

So let's say I have a beer in a keg that I want to fine with gelatin. I have not done much with gelatin to date but from reading I understand that the first few pours or so once everything drops out will be hazy then wha-la, clear. However, I also read that you do not want to move your leg after fining. My problem is I need to! Will it still be a problem to move the keg if I draw the few pints of haze off the bottom before moving? Or will there be enough gunk left on the bottom of the keg that I'm going to have problems? Any thoughts???

You don't want to move the keg for a few days after you add gelatin and trub and hops etc. are settling at the bottom. Once you remove the bottom few pints of sludge, it should be clear and even if you moe it later. You will stir up whatever small amount you didn't drain at the bottom, but it will settle again. It's perhaps not ideal but it will be reasonably clear, I would suspect.

Yes, there will be enough trub left on the bottom of the keg to cause cloudiness after moving, even after pouring a few pints post fining. I found that even just lifting up the keg (to check approximate fullness) was enough to cloud a previously clear pouring keg. The solution to the problem is found here.

Brew on :mug:

draw a few to get most of it out. Once you're done moving it, throw it back in the cooler (cold crash) and let it sit for a bit. Then pour, you should be good. As long as most of the stuff dropped and you get it out with the first few pints you'll be good. A little will get resuspended but it won't be nearly as bad as when you added the fining agents.

Something to consider...why not just use gelatin prior to kegging? I gelatin all of my beers in primary before racking.

Thanks for the help everybody. Grantman1 it was a lager that just wasn't clearing that I had already transferred to keg; didn't anticipate the issue. Ended up adding gelatin, fridge 48 hrs, poured off a few pints, then slowly transferred keg to keg under pressure and left last few pints in original keg. Sparkling clear all the way to its destination!

Thanks for the help everybody. Grantman1 it was a lager that just wasn't clearing that I had already transferred to keg; didn't anticipate the issue. Ended up adding gelatin, fridge 48 hrs, poured off a few pints, then slowly transferred keg to keg under pressure and left last few pints in original keg. Sparkling clear all the way to its destination!
Glad you had success.

Brew on :mug:

Does this work better? I usually just add gelatin at kegging. I've seen your method on a few other sites recently. Just curious

in my opinion, it's less about gelatin but more about cold crashing. Cold crashing prior to kegging (in carboy) is going to suck air in, unless you take special precautions.
On the other hand, cold crashing and gelatin will precipitate (yeast, proteins, hops) at the bottom of the vessel, so transferring after cold crashing will result in clearer beer. But you can also cold crash and gelatin in the keg and drain a few pints, as long as it does NOT clog your dip tube.

Latest posts

Back