Movie Theater Popcorn - anyone got a clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't particularly adore movie theater popcorn, and it seems pretty inconsistent around there. I have had to get my money back on one batch and should have on another, and we only go to a couple movies per year.

I just pop plain old popcorn (Target brand, or some fancy botique stuff we bought in Amish country, it doesn't matter much) in a pot, with some oil, and add just enough 'popcorn salt' from the restaurant supply store to give it some saltiness. That's good popcorn to me.

Use the Act II butter flavoring from Sam's Club, and popcorn salt
This comes as close as anything I've ever made. However, it's only mediocre as popcorn goes, in my book.

I use corn oil and add a handful of pickled jalapeño slices before adding the kernels. Salt heavily and wash it down with a light ale. Delicious! :mug:

I have actually done quite a bit of reading about this. The key is to use coconut oil and flavocol as you are popping the popcorn. As far as toppings there are mixed reviews about what is best and more like the theater. It seems that the one that gets the most votes is morgold buttery topping. The only problem is that it only comes in gallons so it is kind of expensive. I have been meaning to order some for about 6 months now but just for some reason never have.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U4RW4K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a large kettle style popcorn maker. We use the Act II butter but have some sort of butter flavor salt. It calls for 1/3 cup butter but I throw in 1/2 cup and I also add a little more salt than it calls for. Like another poster said, it comes out just OK however it is a nasty mess inside the kettle. I do like to sprinkle Lowrys Seasoning Salt on the finished popcorn. Any other methods you can advise?

I use one of these, works great. Whirley Pop.

Whirley-pop-Popcorn-Popper_20090803398.jpg

Back