Moved it to secondary, now no fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdlogic

Reaction score
I brewed my lager in the normal fashion with a 6 gallon carboy, it had a very foamy primary so i used a blow off hose (56 degrees), i let it diacetyl rest at like 68 degrees and it continued to bubble like every 30 seconds, then i moved it to the secondary fermenter (5 gallon carboy) and waited for it to start bubbling again (as it had just moments ago been bubbling) and it never did. should i add more yeast? should i just bring it down to the secondary temperature (40 degrees) and not worry that its not bubbling?

by time to lager you mean throw it down to 40 in the secondary 5 gallon carboy --- not kegged yet, right?

The term secondary is really a misnomer. When you rack the beer, you are taking it off the yeast cake so fermentation slows down or stops as the only yeast left are those still in suspension. This is why it is important not to rack too early; the concerns some people have about off flavors due to leaving beer in the primary seem a little inflated to me.

Back