Move it or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floored

Reaction score
I have a porter and a pale ale that are 9 days in on primary fermentation. They are in my basement with a 59* ambient temperature. I used S04 on both beers. Should I move them to a warmer area to finish?

I would assume that the most active stage of fermentation has passed at this point..I would move it to somewhere warmer. I like to step temperature like this when I can. On bigger beers, I like to start a little lower then after about 10-12 days I move the vessel so that it is closer to the middle of the ideal range. Based on what I'm reading, 59F is on the very low end of the ideal range for S04 so be prepared for potential off-flavors.

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried about off flavors from being too warm originally. I'm past vigorous fermentation now, would moving to 69 -70 degree range be ok?

68F is the top of the ideal range. Fermentis' website says it can handle up to 77F, but the ideal range is 59F-68F. If you can move it to the mid 60s I would do that, but if that's not an option you're probably ok to move up to the high end. I don't think you would get off-flavors, as the active stage is complete. If it was that high right after pitching I would be worried.

Thanks again! Looks like I'll have to check all the closets for a sweet spot. Linen closet? Bah, fermentation chamber.

Haha yea, get a couple cheap thermometers and set them in closes and nooks or wherever. You'll find the sweet spot.

Just make sure to rig a blowoff hose if you're going to put a recently pitched batch there. My older brother once fermented in a smaller vessel with no blowoff and put it in his wife's walkin closet right after pitching..needless to say, after a couple days there was quite the explosion and he was doing laundry for a week. :eek:

my basement is 60 degrees even and I use sa05 and 04. I've found I have to move them upstairs to clean things up. I just moved into the house and never had to move beer before. My 2nd batch I did at the new place it had a terrible butterscotch taste and smell to it because it was too cold for the yeast to clean up...
Now, I let it ferment for 5 days in the basement then move it upstairs and the beer is much better.

So, in sort, yea I'd move it.

my basement is 60 degrees even and I use sa05 and 04. I've found I have to move them upstairs to clean things up. I just moved into the house and never had to move beer before. My 2nd batch I did at the new place it had a terrible butterscotch taste and smell to it because it was too cold for the yeast to clean up...
Now, I let it ferment for 5 days in the basement then move it upstairs and the beer is much better.

So, in sort, yea I'd move it.

Yea that's what I've found is that the time spent at the higher temps helps the yeast finish and clean up before settling out.

I got the beer moved upstairs and it's sitting happily in the mid sixties. I'm planning on a three week primary which would give it 11 more days to clean up. Any other suggestions besides wait?

I got the beer moved upstairs and it's sitting happily in the mid sixties. I'm planning on a three week primary which would give it 11 more days to clean up. Any other suggestions besides wait?

You're good to go. Best to simply leave them alone and let them finish up at the warmer temp.

It will help "condition" it faster..... and it cannot hurt with most of the primary fermentation finished...

Just watch it... it may bubble for a while... this could either be fermentation or it could just be the CO2 escaping as the beer warms...

If you don't move it make sure you do the calculations for residual co2 before adding your priming sugar

DPB

Thanks all for encouraging the noob. For residual CO2 I use the highest temp reached during fermentation? My first ever batch was horribly over-carbed. That was due to following kit instructions without verifying actual volume.(stupid oversight).

Thanks all for encouraging the noob. For residual CO2 I use the highest temp reached during fermentation?

Yes, and that's not just when it was bubbling. If you use a priming calc and shoot for 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2 as an average "drinking" carbonation (not style-specific) you should be happy.

My only suggestion is don't get to attached to timetables. Use gravity readings and taste to determine your next move.
The porter will benefit from some conditioning either in bulk or bottled, the pale ale can also use some conditioning, but not as much as the porter, you don't want too much of the hop character to drop out.

Just a quick update. I bottled both beers today and everything seemed ok. Final gravities were good and used a priming calculator for bottling. Only thing to do now is wait.
Will they condition faster if I look at them three times a day?
Thanks again for the advice.

WP_20150314_15_12_33_Pro.jpg

Will they condition faster if I look at them three times a day?.

Yes I believe that brewscience has proven that checking up on your beer at least thrice per day (no matter the stage of fermentation/conditioning) will result in better beer. :mug:

..don't quote me on that..

Back