Mouse in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the original post, not the rest.

Toss the carboy. At the very least, clean it out like crazy, sanitize, and repeat a few times. Then whatever you make in there, don't serve or share it with anyone else for at least 3 batches.

Toss it, ick.

Why? Anyone with any understanding of brewing would know that lye and a bleach bath would kill more microorganisms than you typically have in any batch of beer you've ever made. I would advise the OP to not get upset over this. The microorganisms that live on human skin are often more dangerous to your health than anything that can live through an acidic and alcoholic environment.

For some people, it's more about the thought of what was in there than what is actually left behind after cleaning.

I couldn't use it... I wouldn't use it. Call me crazy, I've been called worse.

:)

There's plenty of mouse parts and mouse **** in malt anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if all beer has some small percentage of rodent in it.

Try pbw/oxiclean, should get it loosened up and dissolved a little. If it doesn't slide through the opening then you'll need to use a stiff wire or a more heavy duty chemical.

It's a glass carboy...there's not going to be anything left of the mouse after a normal cleaning.

Honestly, there should be more than just one Strange Brew reference here, but in the least, if you keep the carboy, give the resulting beers a name that honors the little fkr.

M-I-C, K-E-Y ... IPA

Honestly, there should be more than just one Strange Brew reference here, but in the least, if you keep the carboy, give the resulting beers a name that honors the little fkr.

M-I-C, K-E-Y ... IPA
Mouse malt lol oh we home brewers come across some strange situations don't we? Don't know if I could keep the carboy would probably scrub and sanitize and sell it or better yet donate it to a friend who is on a tight budget

You could get a glass cutter, cut it in half and make a hop garden in it. Mouse and all! It would be a good fertilizer and it would still technically be used for beer :D

Why? Anyone with any understanding of brewing would know that lye and a bleach bath would kill more microorganisms than you typically have in any batch of beer you've ever made. I would advise the OP to not get upset over this. The microorganisms that live on human skin are often more dangerous to your health than anything that can live through an acidic and alcoholic environment.

I have friends in the food industry, including some who have worked in Quality Assurance. If one of their plants was audited and the inspector found a dead and decaying mouse in a piece of equipment that comes into contact with food, that equipment would probably get tossed (or, if removable and replaceable, just the piece of the equipment), they would be shut down, and there would probably be a massive recall.

We may not have QA departments to answer to, but if the beer we give or trade away makes someone horribly ill I'm pretty sure we're liable.

After saying that it should get tossed I did add that if the the original poster is so attached to it then he should clean it up thoroughly and use himself as the sole test subject for the first few batches. I still wouldn't want to use the thing, and I'd be leery of drinking any of the first 10 batches made in it.

And yeah, there are some pretty nasty microbes that have been known to live on your skin, like listeria, but lots of food processing workers are aware of that and take measures to make sure that it doesn't wind up in your food. But I don't see what stuff like listeria living on someone's skin has to do with the mouse in the carboy.

All this, and when it comes to the food and beverage I consume, I'm a bit of a germophobe. I like my pots, pans, kettles, skillets, kitchen utensils, eating utensils, plates, bowls, glasses, cups, etc, etc, to be very clean. I expect someday it will get to the point where I wont be able to eat anything at a fast food place or legit restaurant.

Sanitize it with fire? :D

flamethrower_straight.jpg

I have friends in the food industry, including some who have worked in Quality Assurance. If one of their plants was audited and the inspector found a dead and decaying mouse in a piece of equipment that comes into contact with food, that equipment would probably get tossed (or, if removable and replaceable, just the piece of the equipment), they would be shut down, and there would probably be a massive recall.

We may not have QA departments to answer to, but if the beer we give or trade away makes someone horribly ill I'm pretty sure we're liable.

After saying that it should get tossed I did add that if the the original poster is so attached to it then he should clean it up thoroughly and use himself as the sole test subject for the first few batches. I still wouldn't want to use the thing, and I'd be leery of drinking any of the first 10 batches made in it.

And yeah, there are some pretty nasty microbes that have been known to live on your skin, like listeria, but lots of food processing workers are aware of that and take measures to make sure that it doesn't wind up in your food. But I don't see what stuff like listeria living on someone's skin has to do with the mouse in the carboy.

All this, and when it comes to the food and beverage I consume, I'm a bit of a germophobe. I like my pots, pans, kettles, skillets, kitchen utensils, eating utensils, plates, bowls, glasses, cups, etc, etc, to be very clean. I expect someday it will get to the point where I wont be able to eat anything at a fast food place or legit restaurant.

I value your concerns for your own beer and the OPs, but your logic is flawed. If a roach, rat, or any other vermin made their way into a mash tun, 100 BBL fermentor or bottling line at your local brewery, they do not replace the equipment. This goes for almost all food process facilities.

As I said before, I would not recommend throwing out something that's easily made sterile via strong caustic treatments. That's what professional breweries would do. No sense throwing out a shiny new 100 BBL fermentor, same goes for a 5 gallon glass one.

I didn't know they let bubble boy work quality assurance.

"I'm sorry sir but your tanks are scrap metal and the building is condemned. Shut her down boys. Start over hopefully you get it mouse free this time."

Anybody ever read the dirty diaper in the fermenter thread over at the old greenboard, that **** was rolling on the floor hilarious.

I just glanced past the active threads on the front page, and my mind mashed up the top 2 ("Dogs" and "Mouse in a carboy") into "Dog in a carboy."

Now that would have been an interesting read. :drunk:

I value your concerns for your own beer and the OPs, but your logic is flawed. If a roach, rat, or any other vermin made their way into a mash tun, 100 BBL fermentor or bottling line at your local brewery, they do not replace the equipment. This goes for almost all food process facilities.

As I said before, I would not recommend throwing out something that's easily made sterile via strong caustic treatments. That's what professional breweries would do. No sense throwing out a shiny new 100 BBL fermentor, same goes for a 5 gallon glass one.

I bet there are a fair number of breweries and food processing facilities that do, or they take out the replaceable part that the vermin settled on, especially if they can replace it for around $50 and the dirty spot is hard to get to in order to scrub it.

While it is further flawed logic to point out there is plenty of flawed logic going on in the food industry right now and use it as an argument, I'll point it out anyway (and not use it as much of an argument).

I bet there are a fair number of breweries and food processing facilities that do, or they take out the replaceable part that the vermin settled on, especially if they can replace it for around $50 and the dirty spot is hard to get to in order to scrub it.

While it is further flawed logic to point out there is plenty of flawed logic going on in the food industry right now and use it as an argument, I'll point it out anyway (and not use it as much of an argument).

There is ZERO flawed logic in the food and beverage industry as far as using highly concentrated caustics to clean up incidents of dead rodents. Replacement of parts for an easily remedied contamination would be the flawed logic. Look into the FDA allowable limits for all kinds of disgusting things that are in products you consume daily. It is quite reasonable to suggest cleaning ANY food contact area with proper means versus throwing away any food preparation surface. Lye is cheap versus replacing the carboy. Not only is it cheap, but my remedy of using lye followed with a bleach soak will leave him with a carboy that is more sterile than any carboy he would purchase, clean and sanitize.

regarding concentration - liquid plumber or other lye based drain cleaner straight out of the bottle. Pour the whole bottle in

Lye will do sufficient sanitizing all by itself. Bleach is for peace of mind, but I am pretty sure completely not needed

Pour the lye in, dissolve the mouse, then clean as you normally would. People freak out but do not realize that the lye will kill everything in the carboy. Think about it - folks leave Tupperware in their desk at work, then rinse, run through the dishwasher and use the Tupperware again.

I vote for recycling. Would never get those images out of my mind. I'd be afraid some people would never want to drink my beer if I ever told the story about the rodent in the fermenter. Not wild about using and storing caustic chemicals either. Star-san and PBW are bad enough.

There is ZERO flawed logic in the food and beverage industry as far as using highly concentrated caustics to clean up incidents of dead rodents.

We're starting to go in opposite directions here, I've gone as far as I can go with my (limited) knowledge of the food industry and educated guesses, I was starting to look at the bigger picture, in food industry topics not directly related to how a dead mouse would be cleaned from equipment, which is why I was stopping.

I gave my opinion. I based it on some knowledge of what the food industry does, a desire that the original poster and those he would share brew with stay healthy, along with my own (for want of better word) neurosis.

Back