Mouse in a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinky

Reaction score
I just bought some used brewing equipment and one of the carboys has become the final resting place for a mouse. It been in there for a long time, and its pretty well stuck to the bottom of the jug. Is it worth my time to try and clean the carboy, or is it time to trash it?

I just bought some used brewing equipment and one of the carboys has become the final resting place for a mouse. It been in there for a long time, and its pretty well stuck to the bottom of the jug. Is it worth my time to try and clean the carboy, or is it time to trash it?

PBW!

Nuff said! LOL

Cheers
Jay

Someone on hbt made a cat hair beer not too long ago. Maybe you two can team up and do a Tom and Jerry thing haha.

All things considered, you could probably get it out and soak it in oxyclean, pbw, and star san for a while and get it clean. But if it were me, I would take the loss and pitch and replace it. I put too much effort and money into my beer to have it potentially get ruined by some Rat scuz. With that being said, I had a bad childhood experience with rats and am terrified of them so that could be influencing my decision too haha

OK So speaking from direct experience... I had a mouse die in one of my open kegs... It WAS REALLY nasty... However I did clean it very well with PBW and star-san. I have a beer in that keg right now... It tastes fine to me.

If it's glass, I would say fine.

If it's plastic, I would worry more about scratches during the cleaning process than mouse residue.

If glass, first pry it loose, shake it out. Put some Barkeepers Friend (or Comet), and a little water to make a scouring paste, and brush all the residue off. Add a bit more water and clean the whole carboy inside. Dump, rinse, add some PBW, washing soda, or Oxiclean, 1/2 gallon of hot water, scrub and let soak overnight. Brush well again and rinse. Sanitize. That should do it.

This has been here 9 hours and no one has made a Bob and Doug McKenzie reference?

bob-and-doug-mackenzie-try-to-get-free-beer-using-a-mouse-in-a-bottle.jpg

For science.

Pour in some neat starsan and watch the dead mouse disolve. Time-lapse pics would be nice, for science.

I totally agree with Gavin. We did this with ozonated water once. Ate the little carcass up.

If its glass, give it a shot.

Back in the old days of brewing I used bleach to sanitize equipment. It is a no no with metals, but not so with glass. I had a glass carboy stored in the basement for a number of years that also became the final resting place for a mouse. After a thorough cleaning, I soaked the carboy for a day or more in a strong bleach solution. Probably over kill but I wanted to be sure. Chlorine will kill most anything. Plenty of hot water to rinse and it will be good to go.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have pictures tomorrow and I will document the process.

That is horrifyingly effective. I might give it a shot if the chemical cleaners don't do the trick.

Actually, Liquid Plumber will do a great job. Basically caustic soda. In concentration, lots of stuff dissolves in that.......

that is wombat not a mouse. Seriously that is pretty vile... I'm not sure I could get it out of my head that mess was in the carboy I made beer in. I would consider cleaning it out but im talking like repeated bleach soaks kind of cleaning.

OK, the pic did it for me... clean it up and sell it off. No way I could use it.

What's the stuff they used in Breaking Bad?

Sodium/Potassium hydroxide, a.k.a. lye. I was actually going to suggest that. It should take care of that mouse completely in a couple hours (if even that long). Just be extremely careful. Wear gloves, goggles, etc. You don't want that stuff getting on your skin and you definitely don't want it in your eyes.

Sodium/Potassium hydroxide, a.k.a. lye. I was actually going to suggest that. It should take care of that mouse completely in a couple hours (if even that long). Just be extremely careful. Wear gloves, goggles, etc. You don't want that stuff getting on your skin and you definitely don't want it in your eyes.

Agree with lye. Extremely dangerous to work with but it will liquefy that rat in no time.

Lye first. Then a strong bleach soak.
I used to pick up used carboys at a local flea market and I always did a strong bleach soak when I got em home.

Lye sounds like the best solution, I'll pick some up and post some pics of the process. I'll follow up with bleach. What concentration would be appropriate to unmouse the carboy?

You could always make a starter with the remains and call it --- what else?

"Three Mouskie Beers"

I sat on page 1 for quite some time trying to think of something funny, only to realize my thunder has been stolen.... cheers.

ps... what the hell is that in the picture?

blow up the carboy, multiple times, and buy a new one.

IMG_20151210_123702848.jpg

Here he is from another angle. This weekend I'll start with a lye solution and post some updates as it cleans up the mess.

Dust off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. o_O

I would give serious consideration to dumping an entire jug of bleach in there, personally...

IMG_20151210_123702848.jpg

Here he is from another angle. This weekend I'll start with a lye solution and post some updates as it cleans up the mess.

As I wrote before, I'd pry it loose first and remove from the carboy if possible. That looks pretty big! Trying to dissolve the whole carcass will make you wanna puke even more.

Dollar store drain cleaner is a great source of lye. Pour it in, leave it overnight and no more mouse

Read the original post, not the rest.

Toss the carboy. At the very least, clean it out like crazy, sanitize, and repeat a few times. Then whatever you make in there, don't serve or share it with anyone else for at least 3 batches.

Toss it, ick.

Back