Motts Malted Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Im starting a malted cider, not sure how it going to turn out. We added 1lb of dried malt extract and about 8 ounces brown sugar (cause I like it). Used Cider House select yeast about 1 teaspoon. Lady said use the whole packet for a gallon but I was always told 1 teaspoon per gallon. Should I go more? I think this would be fine?

OG was 1.100 so I think I got that way too high, didn't pay attention and popped in way too much sugars. Maybe adding in some plain juice or juice / water mix to bring it back down some? I wanted to keep that apple flavor.

Last edited:
What volume of juice is this for?
Is this a recipe you found? I'm interested in the idea of a malted cider.

^^^See the graff thread above.

I've sweetened with DME before on a 1 gallon tester years, but didn't add hops. For the life of me I don't remember how it turned out.

For testing purposes, take a gallon of the cider, dump out a couple of cups of it, and add some DME into the jug and see how you like the taste, something like this: 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

Im just hoping the yeast don't chew through the sugars and get the ABV too high on me.

What volume of juice is this for?
Is this a recipe you found? I'm interested in the idea of a malted cider.
This was on one gallon. I did 1lb DME and about 8 ounces of brown sugar. I've also seen some guys use orange peel in it but I left that out. I will add cinnamon stick later perhaps.

Pasteurize when its done fermenting and add frozen apple juice concentrate.
If the ABV is too high you can always add more juice, but the yeast will kick off again if you don't stabilize it somehow.
Thank you for the suggestion. I may be out by the shop today so perhaps I will pick up potassium sorbate so I can grind this thing to a halt when I need to.

Thank you for the suggestion. I may be out by the shop today so perhaps I will pick up potassium sorbate so I can grind this thing to a halt when I need to.
You cannot stop fermentation with sorbates, it just prevents it from restarting once finished. You’d either need to filter (impractical for a home brewer) or pasteurize. Some have reported success with cold crashing and racking multiple times, but personally that seems like a lot of work.

You cannot stop fermentation with sorbates, it just prevents it from restarting once finished. You’d either need to filter (impractical for a home brewer) or pasteurize. Some have reported success with cold crashing and racking multiple times, but personally that seems like a lot of work.
I was always told it will stop fermentation, even the lady at the supplies shop told me that. I've never used it though, always just either cold crashed it or pasteurized it. I know it will stop multiplication of yeast so maybe they meant that.

This has so far been going for 8 days. No activity on the air lock for the last 24 hours. OG 1.100 & FG 1.030 so I'm looking at a 9.18% ABV and it has that really good beer aroma and retained a bit quite a bit of the apple cider flavor. I think it lacks on sweetness so going to use just regular apple cider or perhaps brown sugar, not sure yet.

I think the best bet would be to let this go back under airlock and see what happens but honestly I think it tastes good enough to just drink it as it is. I do want to carbonate it though but worried fermentation may start again. I could always place it in soda bottles get the desired carb firmness then pasteurize it. Opinions?

Next cider up, Musselman's Pure Apple cider. I think I will put this back on the lees from the previous, maybe, not sure. Heard that can ruin the flavor.

Back