motorizing mill need wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc922

Reaction score
I have an emerson motor that is 115v, split phase, no capacitor required, spins ccw and is non reversible. The 4 wires leaving the motor are yellow, green, black, and red. yellow is marked as line wire. switching black and red changes speed. This is how i labeled the wires:
yellow is hot
black is neutral
red is switched hot
green is ground

Now i need to wire to a 3 wire plug and keep flipping circuit breakers.
i have
yellow going to white
black to black
ground to ground
red to a switch then tied to black
any suggestion on why this wont work

the model # is s55cxrhb-8026 Think I had the wrong gauge wire on the plug end but this is a pic of the sticker on it anyway.

CAM00014.jpg

Excellent. The drawing implies that you make the "3" terminal the hot side, then switch in either the "L" terminal or the "H" terminal to the neutral side. You could use an SPST switch with the common leg going to your white/neutral wire, and the "L" and "H" terminals connected to the switch legs. Even better, an SPST center-off would give you an off function to go with your two speeds.

Not sure if you described what happens if you have the "L" terminal always neutral, and then switch in/out the "H" terminal. If that works that would be an alternative I suppose, though you'd then need an additional switch to provide an actual "off" function (short of pulling the cord out of the wall socket).

And I wouldn't go below 14 gauge wire...

Cheers!

SWAG sez that'll work. But post the model number if you want a more informed opinion...

Cheers!

Yep, the only info you have given us is; it has 4 colours wires and one says line. Not enough to tell you what to do.
And what do you mean switching black/re changes speed? how do you know this since the motor hasn't even run?
Nevermind I am too slow :D

Back