Motorized Monster Mill Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this thread. This reducer made the job easy. I love not having pulleys and a belt. Also makes the whole thing more compact. I mounted my motor, mill, and reducer on the bottom. I will post picks when I finish building the stand.

Just as an FYI in case someone does want to use this reducer with the Harbor Freight 1hp motor, it works fine as long as you offset the height difference. You'll also want to create a dust shroud between the motor and the reducer and don't forget to cover the reducer's mounting holes. The height difference worked out to a 3/8" piece of ply under the motor and a washer (for a 5/16" bolt and is about 1/16" thick) used as a shim under each mounting bolt for the reducer.

I already had the motor from where I had this setup with pulleys, but one of the pulleys was badly forged causing the whole thing to wobble and the belt would slip if I used the full width of the mill (I'm using the Crankandstein 328G - which the Monster Mill hopper works well on).

One other note, if you want to use a solid wire as a ground instead of the shielding from a 4 wire armored cable, you can get a couple of double flexible metal cable junction box clamps and run two 3 wire (BWG) side by side. Just make sure to label your wires (B1, B2, etc).

Last edited:
Just for the hell of it, here's pics of the whole brewery. At some point, I plan on putting all my photos of this basement remodel and brewery build on it's own thread.

View attachment 319818

View attachment 319819

View attachment 319820

View attachment 319821

View attachment 319822

What about jaw couplers? Can you please post a link to them? I looked at original post and the ones you mentioned there does not look like they will made for high torque. Can you confirm that they worked fine??

Thank you

Heres my build I went with a direct drive 150rpm 220v motor. Came with a speed control unit wiring was cake plug n play just had to wire up neutral n active. snagged it off good ole eBay for decent price. Just made a coupler on the lathe out of delrin. didn't think it was going to last but I have put a **** tonne of grain through her and still holding strong. the whole build only took half a day was fun. Total cost was about $230 aud. Not to bad really
IMG_20191221_000825.jpg
IMG_20200108_095640.jpg

Heres my build I went with a direct drive 150rpm 220v motor. Came with a speed control unit wiring was cake plug n play just had to wire up neutral n active. snagged it off good ole eBay for decent price. Just made a coupler on the lathe out of delrin. didn't think it was going to last but I have put a poopy tonne of grain through her and still holding strong. the whole build only took half a day was fun. Total cost was about $230 aud. Not to bad really View attachment 660769View attachment 660775
Is this the motor off Ali Express?

Back