Motorized grain mill for $150?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is mine. I bought it about a year ago off ebay ...just a 2 roller...mounted to a cutting board and feeds right into my mash tun

slow going...so I tried my 1/2 drill and used the trigger dial to slow the speed down...

like a hot knife thru butter...a big game changer...
IMG_3462.JPG

Update:

So, after several offer/counter offer emails I ended at $72 and they would not go any lower than $95.

Curious how low they may have gone w a higher offer?

Bidding very low imo is sometimes not very productive....
When people try to lowball me on the tvs I repair and sell I dont even bother responding.. even when they start throwing messages with higher offers to me. I also state my price and that its firm though in the ad description that so few decide to read.

Most of the stuff on eBay is already close to minimum profit. They are competing with multiple sellers selling the same stuff. They have already cut each other’s throats

Most of the stuff on eBay is already close to minimum profit. They are competing with multiple sellers selling the same stuff. They have already cut each other’s throats
I beg to differ, the chinese still make much more selling direct on ebay than american resellers will often pay.
Plenty of profit left I think since many ebay store owners buy in bulk and resell for a living. these mills for example are $30-60 each depending on how many you buy from manufacturers and resellers on alibaba.https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=brewing+grain+mill (I have made multiple purchases from here and these prices are not fake like some want to claim, its what resellers often pay for this stuff we often pay way more retail for.)

On ebay they still sell for 99 bucks or more... thats still a healthy markup.

The problem is what used to be the norm of about 35% markup has now become 200% or more with many chinese made goods and everyone wants a quick buck by reselling at higher markups.

I wish I had waited and/or read more of the comments. I paid the asking price. It arrived the other day. It does, indeed, include a motor.

I haven't used it to mill any grains yet (and probably won't until some time next month), but I plugged it in and tested the motor, which runs. It also has two speed settings, although I didn't see much difference between them (but I wasn't milling anything, just testing that the motor worked).

The hopper needs to be assembled, but there are no tools required for that. The parts snap together. It's best to do this while sober.

It looks like it might work just balanced on a bucket, but I will probably try to put together something more stable than that.

I reread the thread and saw that the $97 was for a mill, not this mill+motor, so I guess paying full price wasn't as bad as I thought.

I may mill some raw wheat in the next few days just to test the mill (and use the milled wheat for breakfast cereal or something).

I bought a motorized 2 roller mill off of eBay and am very satisfied. I have had for about a year and works well with no issues. My purchase was timed right to be able to apply a 20% coupon code to boot.

The AC motor has a rear mounted fan for self-cooling. Motor is single speed. Rocker switch changes roller rotation direction. I mounted the set-up on a scrap board I had on hand. I cut to match the size of a 20 qt Sterlite tote I picked up at Menards.

IMG_7948.JPG
IMG_7950.JPG
IMG_7951.JPG

I bought a motorized 2 roller mill off of eBay and am very satisfied. I have had for about a year and works well with no issues. My purchase was timed right to be able to apply a 20% coupon code to boot.

The AC motor has a rear mounted fan for self-cooling. Motor is single speed. Rocker switch changes roller rotation direction. I mounted the set-up on a scrap board I had on hand. I cut to match the size of a 20 qt Sterlite tote I picked up at Menards.

View attachment 607973View attachment 607974View attachment 607975

Can't really see, but it looks like you need to tighten the gap quite a bit.

24"-36" of snow expected over the next 48 hours here in Western New York. I just added my first hops to the boil of batch #1 of two planned for today.

Just starting to snow.

Thanks for the info on how the switch works. I like the way you've got it mounted. I'll have to look into a similar approach.

my first attempt and motorizing my CK used an 80prm gear reduction motor and it worked but I thought it was slow.. i use a 170rpm motor now and im told the min speed recommended for best operation is 180rpm so I expect it takes a really long time with this mill.. still probably better than hand cranking.

(just so you know, this is my mill, i put a 5 gal bucket with a 3" hole in the bottom on top, and sit on top my 10 gal mash tun. But the mill was $150, and the drill $60...it's got a varible speed locking trigger)

100_0450.JPG

I dont have this one but I can say after using our motorized kegco 3 roller at the brewery for about 7 months and putting thousands of pounds of grain through it at this point, that the kegco setup is a solid performer.

I notice your ebay mill does not have gears on the roller shafts. This mill is still on several listings on ebay and amazon as well. Many show gears on the roller shafts but some do not. Did you just not install the gears or are there no gears? I'd prefer both rollers geared together.

Back