Motorize Mill - Which Motor/Setup? HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1brewerswife

Reaction score
Ok, trying to figure out how to motorize hubby's Valley Mill, I am electrically challenged, so reading all of the other posts blows my mind. I have a couple options at my disposal:
His valley mill has a 300 rpm MAX, I will be mounting it to a large cabinet that will also include grain storage (he will jump for joy on that alone). I will also be forming the shoot thru it to minimize dust to the pail. Here is what I have,
Two motors don't know what could possibly work-
-Heavy duty trailer lift motor with LOTS of torque, 18 to 1 Ratio, Max 30 amp, 12 VDC, so would have to either find someone to convert into AC or just hook to battery with switch for reverse and on/off.
-Lathe motor - 4 speed with V-belts, spindle runs 60 HZ, Motor 350W, 1400rpm, AC120v, 60HZ swing, mounting into a great headstock (already enclosed) but it is a cheap lathe and the speeds are changed by hand moving belts on the two pulley's in headstock.
So after researching looking at pics, brainstorming with passersby on the street.....Now lost :) too much info...had seen a post, of course can't find now where someone took old bike apart and used the chain and gears to attach to a motor...tryed that on an old bike, but all was welded to mounts so won't work. I do have a local company that has lots of different gears, chains, vbelts etc, but would either of these motors work to even attempt this? I don't know what kind of torque the lathe motor would have, but the trailer lift motor really does, just really slow, that's why I was thinking of the bike sprockets and chain to keep torque just speed it up a little bit....hubby's bday is in 1 week....quick suggestions would be appreciated as any mathmatical or electrical calculations are nearly impossible for me. I don't know what all the rpms/HZ/Amp things mean, just writing what's on the equipment....baby talk needed. HA

her you go
IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

click thumb to see more

Thanks, I sketched a little something out that i think i similar. I will have to go home and check.

Two follow-up questions:
1) the diagram provided by the seller, and you, shows what appears to be a polarized capacitor. However, the ability to be able to wire it for forward and reverse rotation leads me to believe that the capacitor is non-polarized. Additionally, I can't see any markings on the capacitor that indicate polarity. Is this a safe assumption?

2) I have a switch that is rated for 220V at 10A (20A at 110V). Do you think this is sufficient?

Well here are the pics of the motorized grain mill. I ended up using the high torque DC motor. Put in an inline On/Off switch for battery and a Toggle switch Forward/reverse for grain mill in case of binding. There are keyed shafts on the mill and motor, and two sprockets on each for speed changing. Needed the bike derailer to keep tension on chain, but allow for needed slack when changing sprockets. I also formed a luxane box on piano hinge so hubby didn't hurt anything vital when mill is running :). Wish this could have turned out a little nicer with finish work but first time wasnt the easiest. I also have added a aluminum shoot thru cabinet that mill sits. Other two pics below are of his marsh pump, as it did not have a on/off and he kept ripping the plug off when priming. It is a outdoor elect. box spliced with on/off switch and of course new end plug. I mounted it on a 1" tall 'box' of wood with handles so he can have a easy time picking it up and shaking it to get air bubbles out for priming.
graindrawing.jpg

grainmill1.jpg

grainmill2.jpg

grainmill3.jpg

grainmill5.jpg

grainmill6.jpg

grainmill7.jpg

grainmill8.jpg

grainmill9.jpg

Very nice job. Husband is a lucky guy. This thread has added yet another project for me to work on. Its nice to see other people with the valley mill though. I got mine from a friend who quit homebrewing about 10 years ago.

Wow, I missed this thread earlier. Cool that there's Valley Mill owners out there!
The set up above looks similar to mine, except I used pulleys.

I got a 12" pulley that needed a welded center piece for the 1/2" spindle on the mill. There's a 2" pulley on the 1/6 hp 1750 rpm motor (off Ebay). That's a 1:6 ratio, to bring the speed to less than 300.

The "cabinet" is an old shipping crate from work. The mill is mounted on top.

The tensioning device is the invention of a buddy; mount the motor on a square of wood and put a door hinge on that and the cabinet top. The motor's weight keeps the tension. Standard automotive v-belt drives the whole gizmo.

Latest posts

Back