Motorcycle tires

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also found a small hole in the wall motorcycle tire shop that will do the work for $72 total.

And then I remembered I have spoke wheels, meaning I'll need tubes too.

$72 Isn't bad. Does that include R&R? Or do you have to drop them the wheels? I can usually have mine done for 20ish bucks a wheel if i take the wheels to them. They want more if they have to pull the wheels.

$72 Isn't bad. Does that include R&R? Or do you have to drop them the wheels? I can usually have mine done for 20ish bucks a wheel if i take the wheels to them. They want more if they have to pull the wheels.

Includes R&R, balance, and spoke band. Tubes are extra +tax. Looking to be another $40 on top. So, about $370 to get back on teh road plus a sixer of cheap wheat (it's what he likes) to pay for a borrowed trailer.

I've thought about pulling the wheels myself. But for $72 R&R and considering mines a shaft drive, I think I'll let them do it. :eek:

I am really looking forward to feeling this thing on new shoes. I'll admit, the clencher that made me choose were the number of comment on how road grooves don't grab this tire as hard. The stock Bridgstones would pull into the grooves like a slot car and my daily route has some pretty notable grooves going each direction.

That's not to bad. I'm thankful to have a garage to pull my wheels in. Some day I'll own a tire machine. Jake Wilson has the PP2CT's on sale right now so guess I'll be expecting the brown truck soon.

That's not to bad. I'm thankful to have a garage to pull my wheels in. Some day I'll own a tire machine. Jake Wilson has the PP2CT's on sale right now so guess I'll be expecting the brown truck soon.

I have a garage, and I am looking at a bike lift now too (another reason behind just letting someone else do the work). Up to now, I've not needed to do anything to this bike aside from oil and adjustments.

But, it's time I open the shop manual and at least look at how much work is involved to get the wheels off.

I have a garage, and I am looking at a bike lift now too (another reason behind just letting someone else do the work). Up to now, I've not needed to do anything to this bike aside from oil and adjustments.

But, it's time I open the shop manual and at least look at how much work is involved to get the wheels off.

My brother has a nice one from these guys to get his Road Star 1700 in the air. That thing is as big as an Electro-pig but it sits up there nice and stable.

I have a center stand so its not much of a problem for me.

My guess is it's just a couple of pinch bolts, the caliper and the axle up front and pretty close to the same in the rear.

My brother has a nice one from these guys to get his Road Star 1700 in the air. That thing is as big as an Electro-pig but it sits up there nice and stable.

I have a center stand so its not much of a problem for me.

My guess is it's just a couple of pinch bolts, the caliper and the axle up front and pretty close to the same in the rear.

Not bad. I'm looking at a cheap harbour freight lift truck like jack. $99.00, 1000 pound rated.

As for the front, yep.

As to the back, I have no idea. Drum brake, shaft drive. To be honest, I don't even think I have an allen wrench large enough for the axle. Maybe not needed. I've tooled on a lot of cars and lawn engines. Never once on a bike.

Metzler is good rubber.

I use Pirellis because at 13-15K miles a year, I need extended wear.

I've bought four front and five rear tires from Motorcycle Superstore. No tax and cheap shipping. They even ship to your preferred installer.

Nothing beats a new tire on a bike. Funny how that round shape makes it easier to lean into turns. :D

Metzler is good rubber.

I use Pirellis because at 13-15K miles a year, I need extended wear.

I've bought four front and five rear tires from Motorcycle Superstore. No tax and cheap shipping. They even ship to your preferred installer.

Nothing beats a new tire on a bike. Funny how that round shape makes it easier to lean into turns. :D

I looked at the Pirelli's too. Average wear on these marathon is 12k. Considering I have nearly 14k on a OEM Bridgestone I think I'll get my monies worth so long as I can keep the rubber on the road and the rubbish out of the tubes.

I love the Pirellis but the sport tires just don't last as long. At 15k miles per year just going to work it adds up. You'll definitely get your monies worth out of the Metzlers.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Not bad. I'm looking at a cheap harbour freight lift truck like jack. $99.00, 1000 pound rated.

As for the front, yep.

As to the back, I have no idea. Drum brake, shaft drive. To be honest, I don't even think I have an allen wrench large enough for the axle. Maybe not needed. I've tooled on a lot of cars and lawn engines. Never once on a bike.

I have owned a few sets of ME880's, all around it is a good tire, it did lack a bit of traction when putting the screws to it, but was really good in the rain. I averaged about 10k on the rears and my front got 18k before it started to cup and bulge.

image-1680769779.jpg

This is the el cheapo jack I got from Tractor Supply, if I remember correctly it was around $99. I think most of them are made by the same company and relabeled. It works great though, a little wobbly when you hack it up high enough to get the rear tire to clear the fender, but I just put some wood blocks under it

Good news: I ordered my tires at ~9:00amCST and I already have shipping confirmation.

Bad news: My first available day to get the work done is this Saturday and news is already throwing up alerts for some major storms (hail and possible tornados) all day.

Just think your only 2 more days till a new pair of shoes. Nothin like a new pair of shoes.

Goddamned UPS! Since order confirmation everything has said they deliver today but never showed what time.

I check today and now they are set to deliver Monday.

I've only got the trailer for the weekend, someone else has dibs on it for a house move.

Looks like I'll be pulling the wheels off after all. Wonder if Harbour Freight stocks those lifts in store.

DAMN YOU BROWN!!!!!!!

I hate it when that happens. I've seen them in the store before but I'll bet they don't stock more than 1 or 2. Here's hoping they have one when you get there.

Look at the bright side. You get a new tool out of the deal. :D

Look at the bright side. You get a new tool out of the deal. :D

2 new tools. I don't have a 17mm hex in my cabinet for pulling the front axle. Yet.

HF does have it in stock, and it's on sale through this weekend for $69.99. Not bad. An identical lift with teh Craftsman badge (and warranty) goes for $99.99.

Suweet!!! :mug:

If you can't locate the 17mm internal hex at harbor freight (sometimes it's a bugger to find and I'm assuming its an internal hex), Cycle Gear has an axle tool for that purpose. It's 40 bucks though so what i did was get a couple of 17mm nuts a lock washer and a bolt. Thread nut onto bolt add washer thread other nut onto bolt lock em together tight and presto home made axle tool. Another one that i have seen work. Some spark plug sockets are a 17mm hex on the outside and will allow an extension to be inserted into the inside of the socket YMMV on that one.
There are easy ways around that axle without paying 40 bucks.

Suweet!!! :mug:

If you can't locate the 17mm internal hex at harbor freight (sometimes it's a bugger to find and I'm assuming its an internal hex), Cycle Gear has an axle tool for that purpose. It's 40 bucks though so what i did was get a couple of 17mm nuts a lock washer and a bolt. Thread nut onto bolt add washer thread other nut onto bolt lock em together tight and presto home made axle tool. Another one that i have seen work. Some spark plug sockets are a 17mm hex on the outside and will allow an extension to be inserted into the inside of the socket YMMV on that one.
There are easy ways around that axle without paying 40 bucks.

Yeah. Craftsman has a 17mm for $8 and is only a mile from my house. I'll look for a 17 while at HF but it won't be a deal breaker if they don't have it.

Nice tip on the spark plug socket tho', for some reason I have about a dozen of those of varied size. Bet I have one that works.

Yeah. Craftsman has a 17mm for $8 and is only a mile from my house. I'll look for a 17 while at HF but it won't be a deal breaker if they don't have it.

Nice tip on the spark plug socket tho', for some reason I have about a dozen of those of varied size. Bet I have one that works.

But none that actually fit a single spark plug you have. Yeah. I know. :drunk:

8 bucks is reasonable. Get er done. Those new shoes are gonna be like adding power steering. :rockin:

Weird. It's like riding a new bike.

Wheels are off. Much easier than I expected. Especially with the lift.

Rear axle was unexpectedly bone dry. That can't be good for horsepower or mileage. It'll get a generous slathering of white grease on assembly.

(I realise it has sealed bearings but would think the shims need to be greased too, right?)

Odd bit is, there are no punctures in the tire. I guess the tube just gave up.

Wheels are off. Much easier than I expected. Especially with the lift.

Rear axle was unexpectedly bone dry. That can't be good for horsepower or mileage. It'll get a generous slathering of white grease on assembly.

(I realize it has sealed bearings but would think the shims need to be greased too, right?)

Odd bit is, there are no punctures in the tire. I guess the tube just gave up.

Suweet! It really is pretty straight forward. I'm not surprised that the axle was dry. Seems like every bike I've had or worked on was like that. My service manual says to lube the axle with some white lithium so i give it a thin coating and i put a thin coat on the spacers to act as a kind of dust seal to keep crap out.

You'll be back on 2 in no time. :rockin:

Kinda funny seeing the old and new tire side by side. The old tire has a profile of a car tire compared to the rounded tread of the new Metzler.

Kinda taken back by how small the back wheel is, I guess I never really paid attention since it was buried under the fender and saddle bags. 15" rim.

Only a 15 huh. That is small.

That's what she said?

Bike is back toghether and everything is adjusted. Throttle was way out of spec.

Shop fecked me on price and charged me as if I had dropped the bike off stating "If you bring your own tires we charge higher". WTF?

Oh well. Took it for a spin up and down the block. Feels. Different. Softer.

Need to dbl check tire pressure in the morning before I take it to work.

Hardest part of this whole ordeal was the hour I spent fighting to get my 1 peice exhaust fit back onto the bike. The two pipes at the headers flexed inward on each other just enough that it was a PITA to get both lined up.

Shop fecked me on price and charged me as if I had dropped the bike off stating "If you bring your own tires we charge higher". WTF?

WTF????? That would be the last time I used them. And i would make sure everyone i know hears about it. I've never had a shop charge more when i brought them the wheels. What a bunch of a@@ clowns.

Check your pressure. Tire monkeys usually just fill enough to set the bead. That rubber will be a lot softer which translates to smoother ride, warms up quicker for improved traction and no wobble from the flat spot. Ride on.

WTF????? That would be the last time I used them. And i would make sure everyone i know hears about it. I've never had a shop charge more when i brought them the wheels. What a bunch of a@@ clowns.

Check your pressure. Tire monkeys usually just fill enough to set the bead. That rubber will be a lot softer which translates to smoother ride, warms up quicker for improved traction and no wobble from the flat spot. Ride on.

It wasn't cause I brought them the wheels, it was cause I didn't buy the tires from them.

I've never had any say that either. I've had shops say we mount and balance for free if you buy from us and charge a reasonable fee if you didn't.

Guess that's not much different. I retract my rant. :D

I found a lot of places around me that charge more for mount and balance on tires you buy elsewhere. Some wouldn't do the job at all.

"Hey man. We don't know anything about that tire. Where you got it. How old it is. How it was stored. What was done with it before you brought it here." blah blah blah.

What they mean is, we aint getting our mark up out of you on the tires so we'll either get it from the install or no soup for you.

Finally got my head outta my arse to check the pressure.

40psi :eek: Front and back.

I usually run 29 Front, 36 Back per specs on the bike frame.

Even the tire had a raised letter warning to only inflate to 40psi for bead set.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Finally got my head outta my arse to check the pressure.

40psi :eek: Front and back.

I usually run 29 Front, 36 Back per specs on the bike frame.

Even the tire had a raised letter warning to only inflate to 40psi for bead set.
Good thing you checked. I've never mounted a bike tire, but car tires have similar warnings about seating pressure. I think they are there fir the lawyers and idiots that can't use common sense. A lot of car tires won't seat until well above the recommended psi, there is a considerable safety margin
When we were a BMW dealer (car) we had runflats that wouldn't seat under 100 psi sometimes!

You can come to the dark side and mount a car or light truck tire.
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/
$99 for the tire
$15 Dina balancing beads
$20 to mount the new tire
It will dry rot before I wear out the tread.
I ride a VTX 13000
My friends that have rode it cannot tell a difference.
dark-side-56343.html

2011-04-09_13-11-34_420-56342.jpg

2011-04-09_16-13-15_693-56343.jpg
[/IMG]

It’s a General Grabber UHP. It has been on for two seasons and I could not be happier.
2011-04-09_10-42-14_857-56341.jpg

Grabber uhp's are good tires. We've installed several sets (on trucks not bikes). No issues.
A question though: since they are not a round profile, what happens when you are at an extreme lean angle?

Back