Motor Wiring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEnglish

Reaction score
I recently bought a motor from Herbach & Rademan so that I can constantly stir my grains while mashing. I am basically doing the same thing that PJ did in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ehlt-recirulation-pump-stir-motor-262170/

The motor just came in the mail today and I got a little more than I was expecting. The motor has a red/white/blue/green wire and came with a 660v capacitor. Since the motor is only 115v, I am a little confused as to what the blue wire is for and if the capacitor is needed. The motor will be plugging into my control box which is 120v.

Here are pics of the motor/capacitor along with the label on the motor:
spm8.jpg

fgsl.jpg

The capacitor is needed to set the direction of rotation and also to provide the start and run torque. There is a wiring diagram on the motor label that you can follow. The power goes to red and white terminals. The capacitor is wired to the red and blue terminals. Green/yellow is equipment ground.

Hope this helps.

P-J

from the digram on the motor has the white as neutral, the green and yellow as ground

your red as hot/load and that wire goes to one side of the capacitor and the blue gets attached to the other side of the capacitor

it looks to be a capacitor start induction motor

all the best

S_M

I type way to slow :)

motor.jpg

Thank you P-J and Brew nv for the help. I got the motor wired and installed last night.

Back