Moth Attack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effington

Reaction score
So just as I finished cooling my brown ale earlier today in a sink full of ice, I opened the lid to my brew kettle only to immediately have a small moth fly directly into my wort!

I quickly fished him out of there but I know that some sort of moth parts had to be left behind. :drunk: Relaxing... Not worrying...

Just wondering, anyone ever have a bug fly into their wort on brew day? Or should I just go with the flow and call it Effington's Premium Moth Ale?

Contemplating changing my brewery name to Mad Hornet.

Love the Devil Duck, but I get some seriously mad hornets stuck in my wort on brew days. Little bastages just float in there, wonder if they exude poisons?!?!

RDWHAHB!

Follow the Revvy. Beer has been made for a few K years. Yep, some creapy crap has entered the brew stream. Yep, some bad beers have been made. However (they's always a 'however' in life) little critters entering have not been the repeated cause of bad beer. Bad beer comes from bad brewing practices and crapy recipes, not flitter critters in your wort.

Go forth and imbibe. Enjoy your current beer when it comes to fruition (and it will).

I just asked in another post if the bee that I batted into my wort could be harmful, lol... it's a buggy day. At least the moth doesn't have venom... I boiled this bee for at least 30 min before I found him/her...

Teufel, I guess you're the guy to ask, nobody has had anaphylactic shock from your brews have they?

I would think what doesn't kill us makes us drink more...

Channel Revvy! It's all good boys and girls!

Besides Revvy Made Chuck Norris!

It's beer folks. We REALLY have to try to screw it up. May not taste as good as we want. May not be the flavor we hoped for. But it's FREAKIN BEER!! Mankind has been making in for a few millenium. It's all good. Heat kills nasty crap. Yeast makes an environment other bad things cannot tolerate. Some critters, arm wash, spilled backsplash...... they don't matter. It's still gonna be beer, and it will most likely taste just fine. (As long as you used a good recipe, proper sanitation and an appropriate yeast for the style your making.)

Back