most versitle hop out of .....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit - Misunderstood question.

I'd say Columbus due to its high alpha, although it would be out of place in certain continental style beers.

All three have their time and place. It really depends more on the beer styles you prefer. If you like ipas or stouts I would say the Columbus. Tettnang works well in beers with more delicate flavors such as a white ale. Perle is a great clean bittering hop that works well in a lot of styles. I use Perle in my brown ale and vienna lager.

I would add centennial to that list.

I like simcoe and Citra for everything also. I mostly do Ipas, pale ales and some hoppy wheats/porters/stouts occasionally

If you are looking at just absolute number of BJCP styles where one hop variety is more appropriate, probably Tettnang.

Columbus you are basically limited to American ales, and maybe some English ales, and I suppose the categories where strong hop flavor or aroma is inappropriate, like Scottish ales.

Tettnang you can use in almost all of the lager categories with a few notable exceptions, as well as several of the Belgian ales and the others where a strong hop flavor/aroma are not appropriate.

That being said, the real question is what styles do you brew more, which on this forum is most likely American ales and similar, in which case Columbus is the way to go.

The list only has 3. Cuz im buying them from someone on here.
Search free hops

I drink every thing I enjoy not to hoppy ipas.
stouts.

But id say mostly wheats and lighter beers.
So would tettange. Be best?

Perle as an all around bittering hop is definitely the most versatile. It has a higher AA%, so you need to use fewer to achieve more bittering. You saying that you do mostly lighter beers, this would get my vote.

Tettnang is low AA%, thus you would need to use more for the same amount of bittering.

Columbus is a very resinous, dank hop. It is best in American style beers (Pale Ale, IPA, American Stout). While it has a high AA%, it is both a flavor and aroma hop, well-suited to any part of the boil. It has quite a distinct aroma, IMO.

If they are pellet form they are about a year past their recommended date but still may work if they were kept cold and were vacuum sealed. If they are whole hops they are way past their prime. I'm going by industry standards from Hopsteiner not personal experience. I think the oldest hops I have used have been some three year old cascade pellets I had frozen and forgot about. They turned out fine in a pale ale but they weren't quite as good as the fresher ones I had. It may have been from some other factor but I kind of doubt it.

Back