Most versatile base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabumbo

Reaction score
So after not brewing for ~18 months, I need something to jump start me back up. My local club is doing a bulk buy next month and was thinking I would get myself a full sack of something versatile that I could work with to brew several different styles.

I am very partial to pale ales and porters but I have also been promising a stout for about twice as long as I haven't brewed. So really I just want to be able to brew as many styles as possible with this.

My selection is pretty broad, but what do you guys suggest? Premium 2-row? Pale ale? marris otter?

After looking at this list I never realized the varieties. They have 5 pale ale and 4 2-row varieties listed and I thought they were pretty much the same!

I think a pale ale malt is good. I've been using Canada Malting Company pale ale and its great. 2 row is very universal if you don't want as much malt presence or if you want to get the character from more specialty malts.

I have switched over to mostly NW Pale Ale malt. Same price as pale 2row and very similar to maris otter. It's pretty versatile

I'd say that US 2 row is the most versatile as you "top it up" with whatever and it's really neutral in profile. Very pale Maris Otter would be interesting to compare (the one that is kilned like US 2 row). Slightly darker Maris Otter is less flexible, but it's often a better malt for beers with very simple grists as it adds a touch of complexity.

Back