Most underrated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree- if it's not 10%, hoppy, or sour, people can't seem to get excited about it.

I've heard predictions that sessionable, but flavorful beers will be the next big thing. I can totally see this happening. My local good beer store has had Unibroue Cassis on tap, a 4% beautifully crafted Belgian that I could drink all day! I love it, and I wish there were more really good session beers like that.

I really like pretty much anything by Alesmith in San Diego - I think the speedway stout is among the best RIS out there. They also make a great Weizenbock when you can find it.

I also think Spaten Dunkel is highly underrated.

since we're talking breweries overall i say it a bunch around here but if you're in jersey or the greater philly area flying fish doesn't get talked about much but they are absolutely amazing. never had a beer from them i wasn't impressed with.

Definitely Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale from De Proef Brouwerij. Truly outstanding...

Shiner Black - I normally dislike Spoetzl beers, but they knocked this one out of the park. It's a super smooth Schwarzbier style brew that I hope stays in the brew rotation in Shiner.

Agree. I would put this on par with some of the Schwartzbiers I had in Germany. And I usually am not crazy about Shiner either. Although a Shiner bock at 32.00001 degrees is pretty awesome on a super hot day.

I have to send some love to Saint Arnold Brewery here in Houston. They don't seem to get much discussion from the beer intelligentsia, maybe because they aren't on the west or east coast and don't have national distribution. These guys don't tend to make any "xtreme" beers with huge hop loads or trendy craft beer styles. Seems most of their stuff is squarely down the middle of the respective BJCP style guidelines.

They've gotten a bit experimental with their "movable yeast" series where they take one of their existing styles and brew up a new product that is the exact same recipe, other than the use of a different yeast strain. Their Fancy Lawnmower Ale (the actual name of the beer, not a description) is a Kolsch, and they changed out their house yeast strain and substituted a hefeweisen yeast and released it as "Weedwacker". Also, though I haven't tried it yet since it was a limited release, their Amber Ale was released as "Altared Amber" with a Belgian Trappist yeast.

I am a big fan of Sam Adams Noble Pils and their Oktoberfest, both underrated. Kona Longboard Island Lager is a very good American Pale Lager. Most well crafted lagers receive very little attention. Sierra Nevada's Summerfest, Torpedo, and Tumbler are great beers that don't get the beer snob hype.

I think the well crafted lagers may be the german cheqk(sp) beers that we are not so familiar with.Im one that could use more exprience trying lagers.You start tying only lagers and would be surprised what you like
Im prettty shure torpedo is not a lager though and tumbler,maybe
Also i dont know whos bashing torpedo but i use to think that beer was over the top in your face and out of its time. But as for now i think its a great ipa with a lot of pine/SN character. Anybody care to fill me in about the bashing/dislike?

Schemy, I think Odell Brewing is one of the most unsung micros in the country. They have some fantastic offerings.

amen, my favorite brewery. i'm excited that i can get their beers in omaha now, where my brother lives, i always come back with a few sixers.

they have always had to play "second fiddle" to new belgium, but i've always thought they had superior beers. luckily, i got to attend college in Ft. Collins...

+1 to the cutthroat porter too, that has always been one of my favs from Odell.

I would have to say Weyerbacher Quad is definitely on this list for me. I was blown away by it, then I was drunk. Also, Lucifer on tap is awesome. Another I don't really see mentioned is Tank 7 Saison by Boulevard brewing company.

Agreed. I sampled Tank 7 a few months ago and it was really nice!

Agreed. I sampled Tank 7 a few months ago and it was really nice!

Great beer, damn good beer. I went to the Boulevard Mulebach suite for a function a few months back, unlimited on-tap beer for free at this thing and guess what? They had Tank 7 on tap. Needless to say, 6-7 pints of that stuff, dead drunk...LOL

I don't read reviews, most of the time I get recommendations by the guys in the bottle shops when I pick up something. Great Lakes Brewing Co's Lake Erie Monster was freaking amazing, too bad it's a seasonal limited release!

Back