Most Intense Hop Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Looking for a list of the hops you think are the most intense in dry-hop (in a good way, in general.) I'm looking for hops that when added have the power to really transform a beer from mediocre to fantastic.

I have found the following to be very intense in dry-hop:

Galaxy
Eureka
Mosaic
Citra

Looking for more to add to that list and try in NE IPAs!

I have gotten a big hop aroma with Citra as well. I thought fuggles would be big for dry hopping since they gave me a big cherry flavor in late addition, but wasn't impressed with the dry hopped addition. Also, I have dry hopped with Chinook and it was very subtle, which is what I was gong for in an American Amber Ale. Sorry I don't have any to add to you list.

I have gotten a big hop aroma with Citra as well. I thought fuggles would be big for dry hopping since they gave me a big cherry flavor in late addition, but wasn't impressed with the dry hopped addition. Also, I have dry hopped with Chinook and it was very subtle, which is what I was gong for in an American Amber Ale. Sorry I don't have any to add to you list.

huh, never tried Chinook. I know Stone uses a lot of Chinook. I wonder if some hops are bigger from the whirlpool vs. dryhop? I've been noticing the citra, galaxy, mosaic, eurekas always give a lot more bang for the buck compared with some of the other classics such as simcoe, amarillo, cascade, centennial, etc. for me.

huh, never tried Chinook. I know Stone uses a lot of Chinook. I wonder if some hops are bigger from the whirlpool vs. dryhop? I've been noticing the citra, galaxy, mosaic, eurekas always give a lot more bang for the buck compared with some of the other classics such as simcoe, amarillo, cascade, centennial, etc. for me.

I get a pineapple flavor from dry hopping Chinook, but the aroma is surprisingly limited

I just did a amber dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin and got very pronounced flavor and aroma.

I suspect you are looking for hops that pack a big AA punch...but this one is funky with a punch.

Sorachi Ace is used by Brooklyn Brewery to brew a Saison. Single hop (Sorachi Ace) used in three separate boil additions, then whirlpool at flameout then dry hopped in keg. The hop is definitely unique and got Brooklyn 98 points (WOW) for the Saison.

I suspect you are looking for hops that pack a big AA punch...but this one is funky with a punch.

Sorachi Ace is used by Brooklyn Brewery to brew a Saison. Single hop (Sorachi Ace) used in three separate boil additions, then whirlpool at flameout then dry hopped in keg. The hop is definitely unique and got Brooklyn 98 points (WOW) for the Saison.

I don't care at all about the alpha acids in this case. I am only interested in the flavor/aroma, especially for dryhopping.

I think I had that beer once. it was weird how lemony it was. Some have reported odd flavors from it on occasion I think. Worth looking into.

I don't care at all about the alpha acids in this case. I am only interested in the flavor/aroma, especially for dryhopping.

I think I had that beer once. it was weird how lemony it was. Some have reported odd flavors from it on occasion I think. Worth looking into.

Yeah, I originally thought Brooklyn Sorachi Ace was influenced by brettamyces yeast but I was interested to find it is WY3711 Saison or just plain ole sacch yeast. This beer is basically a SMaSH beer or you can add a splash of acidulated malt to the Pils malts for some funk. I get lemon/dill/hay like funk with my last 750mL.

I have the clone recipe if you are interested, send me a PM with your address.

I'll second Nelson sauvin. Blends really well with mosaic imo, used the two of them in my last neipa. Was my favourite beer to date. Wish I still had it on tap.

I made a white IPA with Azacca and it was quite potent, but not better than Citra.

Cascade and Chinook are quite strong too.

I love Citra, but am always disappointed when I dry hop with it because I find that the aroma fades in less time than it took me to type this.

Amarillo for fruity, Columbus for dank, Centennial for floral, sez me

huh, haven't seen that effect from Citra. i always thought Centennial was tuity fruity, but when i last used it, it was super floral, pretty bitter, and very dry, dusty. i did add a pound dryhop to 6 gals though. excessive i guess

fwiw, I've used Chinook extensively over a decade and have never gotten a hint of smoke from it...

Cheers!

Huh, I've read smokey a lot as a possibility. maybe i'll give it a try in my next black IPA. I like piney and dank in those, and chinook should work well.

about to pull the trigger on some denali, eureka, ekuanot, kohatu, vic secret and X331 for some single-hop NE IPA trials.

Looking for a list of the hops you think are the most intense in dry-hop (in a good way, in general.) I'm looking for hops that when added have the power to really transform a beer from mediocre to fantastic.

I have found the following to be very intense in dry-hop:

Galaxy

Eureka

Mosaic

Citra

Looking for more to add to that list and try in NE IPAs!

Along those lines I would check out Equinox if I were you. A couple months ago I made a NEIPA with equal parts Equinox, Citra and Galaxy and it was killer.

Just yesterday I bottled a single hop pale ale with just 2 oz Equinox in the boil and 3 oz dry hop and it was intense (relative to how "small" the hop charges were). Reminds me a lot of Citra with mango and pineapple aroma except it also has these underlying zesty qualities like lime and mulling spices. Really excited to try that beer. I think it's an underrated hop right now.

Back