Most efficient method for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telecasterdc

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, but have been reading several threads over the last couple of months.

Due to space constraints and the desire to experiment, I've decided to do small batch brews, mostly 1-2 gallons. I was wondering what method is most efficient for sugar extraction with small batch brews. Here's the different methods I've seen used for small batch mashing and sparging:

1. Making a small mash tun: Making_a_Partial_Mash_mash_tun
2. Sparging with a strainer-like with Brooklyn Brews kits.
3. Brew in a bag

If anyone has experience with these different methods, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Craig

Hi Craig, I have done a few of these.

My favourite method is to use a crock pot / slow cooker on a temperature controller. I found that temperature loss is a bigger issue with the small batches so having it automatically manage your mash temps makes it super easy. My small slow cooker only comfortably holds 800-900g of grain, ok for session beers, not so much for bigger beers. I'll buy a bigger one if I can get a deal secondhand.

The process is pretty simple.
  • Heat up some strike water to slightly higher than you want to mash at, adjust using boiling + cold water to get it just right
  • Add the probe in the slow cooker
  • Add the bag to the slow cooker, add grains and stir
  • Set the temp controller to mash temp
  • Go do something else for an hour
  • Heat up sparge water in another pot
  • Remove the bag from the slow cooker and place in the sparge pot (I do a double sparge)
  • Start boiling the slow cooker wort and add the sparge wort when ready
No reason why you can't get 80%+ efficiency with this process. Not having to worry about mash temperatures makes it stress free.

Previous batch I used a drink cooler to mash in covered in blankets, I found the temps dropped very quickly and I was having to remove wort, heat in a pot, then stir back in. This kept me busy for the whole mash duration.

I paid $1.80 for my temperature controller off Aliexpress, although it needed a bit of wiring assembly and a 3D printed case to be usable.

That's pretty impressive efficiency, and pretty simple. I'll have to look for a temperature controller and give it a try.

Thanks for the reply!

Hi Craig, I have done a few of these.

My favourite method is to use a crock pot / slow cooker on a temperature controller. I found that temperature loss is a bigger issue with the small batches so having it automatically manage your mash temps makes it super easy. My small slow cooker only comfortably holds 800-900g of grain, ok for session beers, not so much for bigger beers. I'll buy a bigger one if I can get a deal secondhand.

The process is pretty simple.
  • Heat up some strike water to slightly higher than you want to mash at, adjust using boiling + cold water to get it just right
  • Add the probe in the slow cooker
  • Add the bag to the slow cooker, add grains and stir
  • Set the temp controller to mash temp
  • Go do something else for an hour
  • Heat up sparge water in another pot
  • Remove the bag from the slow cooker and place in the sparge pot (I do a double sparge)
  • Start boiling the slow cooker wort and add the sparge wort when ready
No reason why you can't get 80%+ efficiency with this process. Not having to worry about mash temperatures makes it stress free.

Previous batch I used a drink cooler to mash in covered in blankets, I found the temps dropped very quickly and I was having to remove wort, heat in a pot, then stir back in. This kept me busy for the whole mash duration.

I paid $1.80 for my temperature controller off Aliexpress, although it needed a bit of wiring assembly and a 3D printed case to be usable.

I'm very interested in your $1.80 temperature controller! Do you have a link?

Brew in a bag on your stovetop. It just doesn't get any easier. If you want to sparge, heat up some water in another pot on the side then dunk the bag in to rinse the grains. This will improve efficiency significantly.

For small spaces you can minimize the amount of equipment you use by brewing in a bag. I really don't think you have many other options honestly. It would be far less equipment because all you need is a pot, a bag, and your stove.

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, but have been reading several threads over the last couple of months.

Due to space constraints and the desire to experiment, I've decided to do small batch brews, mostly 1-2 gallons. I was wondering what method is most efficient for sugar extraction with small batch brews. Here's the different methods I've seen used for small batch mashing and sparging:

1. Making a small mash tun: Making_a_Partial_Mash_mash_tun
2. Sparging with a strainer-like with Brooklyn Brews kits.
3. Brew in a bag

If anyone has experience with these different methods, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Craig

Aloha Craig,
I've been doing 2 gal batches for 3 or 4 years now and would never brew anything larger as I drink mostly my own beer alone and like a variety to choose from. That said....
I use a 5 gal colman cooler to mash, and 2 gallon HD paint buckets to ferment and to bottle. Check out my video it's a bit old and I've made a few changes but pretty much this is my method.
My beers come out pretty darn good and I've taken 5 second place wins in the past 3 years on beers from an Oktoberfest to an American Imperial Stout.
You can brew anything you wish to in small amounts and produce really good beer. :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing small batches, the relevant differences in efficiency will amount to about $0.20. I would rdwhahb with regard to efficiency with one gallon batches.

That said, I think stove top BIAB and putting the kettle in a warm oven the easiest good alternative. If you want to sparge go for it, a cold water sparge works as well and will help efficiency.

The biggest drawback with BIAB is temperature loss and temperature swings while mashing. I also got tired of pulling the bag out and making a mess in the kitchen. I now use a 5 gallon cooler with a BIAB bag in it, and can do 5 gallon batches if I want to. 3-4 gallon batches are better than 1-2 gallon batches because you'll have more thermal mass in the cooler to keep a steady temperature. That's just my 2 cents, that and $2 billion should buy you a Presidential Election unless you've committed multiple felonies. So do what works best for you, Good Luck!

Brewing small batches, the relevant differences in efficiency will amount to about $0.20. I would rdwhahb with regard to efficiency with one gallon batches.

The efficiency is critical for me with the small slow-cooker, I'm right up against the limit with the grain amount. Plus less grain makes it easier to squeeze, easier to move between pots etc and it helps me maintain consistent process between big and small batches. Agree that the cost difference is basically nothing.

I'm very interested in your $1.80 temperature controller! Do you have a link?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...225252366.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.106.mK6P7B

There you go. That gives you the circuitboard with a probe and a relay, you need to add an extension cable and a 12v power source - I just scavenged one from my box of unused electrical devices.

Obviously you need to wire the mains extension cord into the relay, if you haven't done this kind of electrical work before now is not a good time to learn. This is where you ply an electrician with some homebrew and get them to do this part.

Happy to provide the designs for the 3D printed enclosure if you go ahead and buy one. Do not under any circumstances use this board without some sort of enclosure - there are exposed mains terminals on the back of the board which can kill you.

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'm going to BIAB for 2.5-3 gallon batches. I'm still mulling the options for smaller batches. Lots to take in. Thanks again.

Craig

Back