most drinkable carlo rossi??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flumpy said:
Are you referring to all the CR line or just the Paisano?

Just the Paisano. The others, I feel, try to be something they are not. Paisano doesn't claim to be a varietal (Merlot) or immitation appelation (Hearty Burgundy). I get a headache when I drink CR from the other lines, but not with Paisano.

For the most part, though, you're buying bulk, unaged wine from lesser regions, for instance around Modesto, CA. Good areas for produce...not great areas for wine. Every wine producing country has these regions for domestic consumption and table wine. Ours comes in bigger bottles for bigger people and bigger value. :)

I don't think Americans have ever really understood table wine. The Spanish, French, Greeks, and Italians do not spend $19 on a bottle of wine for a Tuesday dinner.

Fair enough, I'll try the Paisano. I'm all for worthwhile new experiences. I was gonna get the Sangria to drink with one of my girlfriends because she's into sweet fruity stuff but if I can have something with at least a modicum of cultural, social and/or scientific relevance -- albeit attenuated -- I will give it a shot.

I really like decanters. It is surprising what wines guests like that they ordinarily wouldn't touch when you serve it from expensive crystal.

How long does CR last before going bad? A 4L bottle of 'wine' of questionable quality might be around for weeks or even months in my place.

Flumpy said:
How long does CR last before going bad? A 4L bottle of 'wine' of questionable quality might be around for weeks or even months in my place.

A little longer than fine wine, but not much.

I use two tricks:

1. Store in the fridge. It lasts about two weeks instead of five days.

2. Transfer it to smaller bottles with no headspace. 16.9oz water bottles work in a pinch. Empty screw-top 750ml wine bottles are better. Even beer bottles are good. These bottles will last weeks or months if you are careful not to aerate much when you transfer.

My fallback position is to plan a few dinners that require a lot of red wine as an ingredient. Coq au Vin and Boeuf Bourguignon do a nice job of killing 2 bottles of wine each.

I can't handle sweet wine, so I enjoy Paisano at the dinner table. It also works well in stews and tomato sauces. In the summer I enjoy mixing it with a cold, flavored, sugar free, carbonated berry water over ice. It's not a wine I would pair with an elegant meal, but it's a respectable every day table wine.

I've split batches between two gallon jugs. When done fermenting I'll "marry" them into a third. I get a full gallon this way. You need three jugs though.

Back